Myth: "Few, if any, people admitted to ICU will survive"

noproblem

Mod's note: I have moved this post from the original thread. I think it illustrates the sweeping general statements people make without any basis whatsoever. Brendan

I doubt that the ICU admissions are related to testing in any way.

People are admitted to ICU when they are very sick. Quite a few of them have not been tested yet.

Brendan
I would say that everyone in ICU has been tested and few if any will survive. Feel free to delete this post, I have no problem with that as it's very blunt and people may not like the directness of it. However, I don't just think what I've written is true but am totally convinced that it is so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that everyone in ICU has been tested and few if any will survive. Feel free to delete this post, I have no problem with that as it's very blunt and people may not like the directness of it. However, I don't just think what I've written is true but am totally convinced that it is so.
I think the survival rate in the UK was 50% for ICU admissions, not great. They didn't give a breakdown by age

I would say that everyone in ICU has been tested and few if any will survive.

Have you any basis for saying this?

From hearing doctors on the radio discussing how they will deal with the surge, they will be allocating ICU beds to those whom they think can benefit most. So I presume that they are expecting some to survive.

Brendan

I think the survival rate in the UK was 50% for ICU admissions, not great. They didn't give a breakdown by age
Good to hear this, but I dare say the people placed in ICU in Ireland at the moment are older, are gravely ill, not just with Coronavirus but with other conditions plus their age. It's really a last resort for them to be placed in ICU. There's no surprise that reporter George Lee places such emphasis each night on that figure, along with the no of deceased patients.
We may be forgetting that other patients are also in ICU, but the figures we're given each night I believe are the virus patients. This is specifically what I'm writing about.

Last edited:
Good to hear this, but I dare say the people placed in ICU in Ireland at the moment are older, are gravely ill, not just with Coronavirus but with other conditions plus their age.

Are you suggesting that the NHS are refusing ICU care for non-COVID-19 patients?

Are you suggesting that the NHS are refusing ICU care for non-COVID-19 patients?
Have no idea where you got that from. I never said any such thing and I cannot control what way some people interpret things.

Have no idea where you got that from. I never said any such thing and I cannot control what way some people interpret things.

You seem to have a very strong opinion that of those being admitted to ICU here "few if any will survive." Your response to the UK ICU numbers that don't correlate with your view seems to suggest there are different circumstances here, perhaps you could clarify? It's certainly not clear,

You seem to have a very strong opinion that of those being admitted to ICU here "few if any will survive." Your response to the UK ICU numbers that don't correlate with your view seems to suggest there are different circumstances here, perhaps you could clarify? It's certainly not clear,

Doctors differ and patients die, sorry for having the opinion I have. I'm sure you're correct in everything you say.

From today's press conference:

CMO Holohan said of the intensive care unit (ICU) figures: “Of 148 cases admitted to ICU, 25 of those cases have been discharged, sadly there have been 14 deaths from ICU and 109 remain in ICU. The median age of ICU admission is 62.”

Noproblem - You should not make wild claims unless you have some basis for them.

Brendan

Very hard to also take these figures yet as we still have only 5 recovered cases and I would guess cases being put on ventilators from next week will be worse cases than first 200 when no issue with availability

Hi Séamus

The point of this thread is to highlight the dangerous scaremongering.

noproblem is totally convinced that "few if any will survive".

The facts are otherwise.

So far, 25 out of 148 have survived enough to be discharged (presumably from ICU)

Even if the rest die, it still means that 17% recovered.

But, so far at least, more have been discharged than have died.

Brendan

Noproblem - You should not make wild claims unless you have some basis for them.
I couldn't agree more.

There are over 100 people in ICU currently with Covid 19. That means over 100 people with families, extended families, and friends worried about them.
There are more people going to end up in ICU in the coming days / weeks / months. To read a statement like in the OP would be extremely distressing to anyone with a loved one in those circumstances.

I had hoped when the Coronavirus forum started on AAM that it would be a factual based area, and an escape from the normal social media scaremongering, but unfortunately it looks otherwise, and some people just make stuff up here too and post it as fact.

And on the news tonight it was confirmed that some 25 people who were admitted to ICU have been released, a number greater than those who have died in ICU.
Noproblem clearly has one with the truth.

I'm sure the poster didn't mean to cause alarm but my blood ran cold when I read the title.
I've been using AAM for Coronavirus talk as easier to take than Twitter - surprised this thread wasn't deleted.

I'm sure the poster didn't mean to cause alarm but my blood ran cold when I read the title.
I've been using AAM for Coronavirus talk as easier to take than Twitter - surprised this thread wasn't deleted.
I'm glad the subject hasn't been deleted. Thirteen years ago I was a patient in an Intensive Care Unit and in induced sleep. My condition had nothing to do with CV-19 obviously. I don't know the survival rate of ICU patients, but I bet it is much higher than most expect even in these trying times.

surprised this thread wasn't deleted.

Hi Renting

The first post was included in a longer thread.
As moderators we face a difficult balance - allowing people to express their opinions on the one hand and on the other trying to maintain a serious discussion.
There is some terrible rubbish being posted but if we delete it, we get accused of censoring views we disagree with.

I have left this thread, and indeed highlighted it, so that people will see that even on Askaboutmoney, ask for evidence where people make outlandish claims.

Brendan

@Brendan Burgess
Would it be possible to change the title somehow to shown it's not a fact?
When I click into forum it stands out, and some people might not want to read 'bad news' and skip over it, but remain affected by the title?

I don't envy your job Brendan! Still having read this thread the stats are better than I would've originally thought. Let's hope things continue to improve for all

Back