My Zip Drive is Banjaxed!

MissRibena

Hi everyone

We use a Omega Zip 250 drive to do back-ups. The power unit seems to be dead. I've unplugged it, replugged it, rebooted etc. etc. but can't get the little power light to come back on. I dont' really mind buying a new Zip drive but the problem is that an important disc is stuck in the drive and won't come out without power! Any ideas of how to get it out or if I can just buy a power adaptor thing (sorry, really haven't a clue on the electricity side of things - can post the Volts and Amps stuff if it would make things any clearer).

Rebecca

Normally a safety pin can be used to eject a disc from a Zip drive (or for that matter, a CD or DVD drive).

MissRibena said:
The power unit seems to be dead.

I dont' really mind buying a new Zip drive but

If it uses a fused plug then you should check the fuse in case that's all that's blown. If it uses an external power supply/transformer and you establish that this is no longer working then you can most likely buy a replacement power supply/transformer (e.g. variable voltage ones with different Amp ratings and with switchable connectors only cost about €10-€20 these days). Even if the power supply/transformer is still working but the device is not the device may be reparable.

Thanks for the replies.

Clubman, i checked the fuse and that's ok. I'm going to look for one of those power supplies.

Rebecca

Check the following details of the existing power supply and get one that matches (or bring the old one with you when shopping for a replacement):
  • Voltage
  • mA amperage rating
  • Polarity of the connector (i.e. positive inside, negative outside or vice versa)

Maplin (Dublin/Jervis, Cork, Galway, Blanchardstown) currently have a variable voltage (1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12V DC) power adaptor with switchable connector heads on special offer for €10.49 in case that's of any use. Argos also sell something similar but I don't know the price.

Thanks a million Clubman. I'll definitely bring it with me as I'd be afraid I'd make a hames of it.

Rebecca

Back