my sony notebook VGNFZ21E will not boot

korpy

my sony notebook vgn-fz21e will not boot.
i have the laptop for over a year and half now, and it was working grand two days ago.
but now when i start it up, i hear one long beep and the two short beeps and thats it.
the screen stays blank, the mouse doesn't work and same with the keyboard.
i read on the internet that it could be related with the video card, or something about the RAM. also i havent opened the casket or tampered with the hardware.

does anybody know what could be wrong with it?
also is the guarrantee on vaio just a year long?

thx.

Could anyone of a number of things.

Will it boot from a bootable CD? IE Windows Install Disk or similar.

Contact Sony and request a copy. You were entitled to request one when you purchased and registered the machine.

We had a similar problem with our VGN laptop recently. We had to replace the hard drive and the BIOS along with reinstalling the OS.

A bios update shouldn't require a new HD or reinstall of the OS. Likewise a HD failure shouldn't require a new BIOS. What was the problem?

A beep error on startup, suggests to me a hardware failure. If its not the HD then you shouldn't have to reinstall the OS at all. Could be RAM/HD/Motherboard. Most likely is a RAM failure. But could be anything.

Contact Sony and request a copy. You were entitled to request one when you purchased and registered the machine.

We had a similar problem with our VGN laptop recently. We had to replace the hard drive and the BIOS along with reinstalling the OS.

Just received an answer from sony support team ( www.sony-vaio.link.com )that my laptop needs to be picked up for repairs.
Now my question is: I bought the laptop in Oct. 2007, is it still under warranty or not ? If is not, are this guys expensive?

I've had good experiences with Sony Support myself with laptops. And Dell for that matter where they'll fix something even out of warranty depending on the issue. But the whole issue of 1 vs 2yr warranty seems to be bit of a grey area. I would be interested to know what the fault is specifically.

I've had good experiences with Sony Support myself with laptops. And Dell for that matter where they'll fix something even out of warranty depending on the issue. But the whole issue of 1 vs 2yr warranty seems to be bit of a grey area. I would be interested to know what the fault is specifically.

Albacorea , this is their e-mail:

Your Vaio needs to be picked up for repairs. Kindly update this case with the following information so that an agent can contact you in order to arrange for your Vaio to be picked up:
* Your physical address details
* Preferred contact number/s and a suitable time-frame between the hours of 8:00 and 18:00 Monday - Friday
* Your BIOS password (If any)
* Your Windows login password
* The version of Windows that you have installed

I dont know anything about computers and as I said when i start it up, i hear one long beep and the two short beeps and thats it.
the screen stays blank, the mouse doesn't work and same with the keyboard.

I looks kinda like an automated email.

You just have to check who paying for what ever happens. Courier, check, repair etc.

Ah see we never dealt with them as our warrantee had expired so we found a family member who did the fix for us in their spare time. Yes it was overkill to replace both the hard drive and the BIOS but as it was relatively inexpensive it was better to use belt and braces iykwim.

A bios update is something you'd do anyway.

A hard drive failing isn't that uncommon. If you've a regular backup, its a non event. Just a little time consuming reinstalling Windows and Applications. However if a HD fails the machine would boot, and would give you HD error. If it won't even post the bios boot, then its CPU/Memory or motherboard.

That my thinkinganyways.

I'd remove one stick of ram and see if it works then. If not remove the other one and put back the first one. Assuming it has two sticks of ram. HD and Ram are 5 mins with a screw driver job. If its the CPU or motherboard thats a job for a repair shop IMO. Unless your a hardcore tinkerer.

Back