My solicitor won't quote me for a divorce case

S

Shoeshopgirl

I've recently contact a local solicitor about sorting out my divorce. Despite many requests she has yet to give me any indication about how much it will all cost. It this normal? surely she must be able to give me a 'ballpark' figure? The divorce should be fairly easy. We've no joint assets / bank accounts etc. We've got 1 child that lives with me but my ex sees him one day per week. My ex has not paid a penny in child support since I left him and suffers badly with depression and alcohol addiction.

Also, wanted to know about moving house after the divorce. Am I entitled to leave the county? Can I move say from Dublin to Cork with my son? Has my ex husband any say over where I live with my son? Can he stop me moving?

"Has my ex husband any say over where I live with my son? "

Is the child both yours? Or just yours?

If he is the father, then he does not stop being the father just because you and he are divorced. And yes, he may well be entitled to question where his child will live. You are equally entitled to do the best for your child, within reason.

mf

Solicitor has a legal obligation to outline all costs upfront.

I've recently contact a local solicitor about sorting out my divorce. Despite many requests she has yet to give me any indication about how much it will all cost. It this normal? surely she must be able to give me a 'ballpark' figure? The divorce should be fairly easy. We've no joint assets / bank accounts etc. We've got 1 child that lives with me but my ex sees him one day per week. My ex has not paid a penny in child support since I left him and suffers badly with depression and alcohol addiction.

Ask another solicitor .

Or advise current solicitor that you now need to know, and that until you do know, level of fees, that she is to do nothing more and, if she will not give you a reasonable indication, that you will go elsewhere.

And if, as per your second post, you intend to move county, you would do well to tell both the solicitor and your husband of your intentions. In advance of the divorce.

mf

My friend has gotten a quote, roughly 2500 euros.This is from a solicitor in Co Cavan.May vary elsewhere.
net64

Thanks for advice. I've an appointment with solicitor on Friday. Spoke to her today and requested the fee estimate be ready at the appointment. I first requested this 8 weeks ago (many times over the phone and during my first meeting with her). When I spoke to her today she had absolutely no idea who I was, knew nothing about my case (despite our previous meeting) and basically didn't seem to really care that I was her client. Maybe I should just cut my losses and find somebody else, I don't have a good gut feeling about her.

As for the other issue re: moving county. My ex is the father of our son. He pays no child support whatsoever and has never done since we seperated. If I moved county it would be for work reasons.

Based on your last post I would get a different solicitor. The divorce may prove stressful and you need to be able to trust and feel comfortable with your solicitor.
I always trust my gut.

A solicitor aquaintance of mine (small one man country practice) absolutely detests family law and divorce cases. He tells his clients this and when he reluctantly takes on such cases he outlines his charges (higher than others) in advance.

aj

I imagine it would be nearly impossible for them to give you a figure because you have given them a brief outline of the case, which has the potential, depending on the individuals involved, to become at least protracted. Emotional and addiction problems would possibley be like a red flag to a Solicitor dealing with a family law case. You are of course free to leave the county you live in, you are not leaving the juristiction of the state.

I agree, use another solicitor. You can't assume the solicitor who processes your mortgage or represents you for civil or driving offences is capable of dealing with complex family law issues. He might not have the experience or the patience! It's highly possible he is not up to date in the area either.

Back