My skybox is broken

Crea

While watching tv today the picture froze. I couldn't change channel so I turned off the sky box but it wouldn't turn on again. I tried the button on the box, i've unplugged it but nothing. The red light is on but I can't get it to turn on properly.
Who do I call regarding this? I don't have any of the contact numbers for sky.
Help - no tv is killing me.

When you unplugged it did you leave it for 30 seconds before plugging it in again? If not do this as it resets the box - it seems as though your unit has frozen, I get this now and again.

If this doesn't fix the problem - unplug the box again, leave it for 30 seconds, plug it back in whilst pressing the 'back up' button on the front of the box. Keep holding the button down. After a few seconds you should see all the lights on the sky box flash and then stay on. You should also be presented with an on screen message stating something about 'downloading software this could take up to ten minutes'.

Leave the box to do it's thing and when it is ready you should be presented with the Sky Info Channel - all will be well.

If none of these work I would give Sky a ring (you should be able to find details of contact numbers at www.sky.com)

make sure you are not blocking the vents, the damn things run very hot meaning good ventilation is a must

Well I did what Sonnyikea said and it still didn't work so I called the UK number from the website. When it was answered a recorded message said that i'd be holding for 22 minutes!!! Anyway held on for 24 and a very nice woman took my details and said she'd send out an engineer in 5 days. This visit cost me stg£60 and the call wasn't a freephone number. I was on the phone for about 32 mins.
Anyway they guy came yesterday and replaced the box. He didn't even open it up to fix it.
Thanks for your replies.

Seems to be an extremly common fault. Happened to me twice. It is the hard drives inside. They get so much use within a Sky box.

Back