My new phone has 2 prong adaptor - what do I do?

witchymand

I bought a new mobile phone from Australia off the internet, but the phone adaptor to charge it has only two prongs. How will I be able to charge the phone?
Please help as I am mad about this phone.
Thanks

witchymand said:
I bought a new mobile phone from Australia off the internet, but the phone adaptor to charge it has only two prongs. How will I be able to charge the phone?
Please help as I am mad about this phone.
Thanks

if its a brand we have over here (eg. nokia , motorola..etc.) you can buy a charager over here...

I am not sure of the voltage , but most chargers will work with a travel adapter...

No need to waste money on a new charger.
Get a plug adapter for 3 euro from most electrical shops (even Dunnes).
Convert 2-3 for your plugs.

MaceFace said:
No need to waste money on a new charger.
Get a plug adapter for 3 euro from most electrical shops (even Dunnes).
Convert 2-3 for your plugs.
Or if you have a double adaptor lying around you should be able to plug to that (you will need to temporarily stick something into the earth slot to allow the 2 pins to go in - obviously without the double adaptor plug to the wall).

Careful, you need to check what the 2 prong adapter is. I had a problem before, not with a phone, but with another electrical item I bought from overseas (US), the adapter that came with it was made to only accept a low voltage so when I tried just using a 3 prong adpater I blew the damn 2 prong adapter.

Check what the 2 prong adapter\phone is expecting in, is it 220 volts? or less? AC or DC? Then go to an electrical store and buy what you need. If your new phone only wants a low voltage and you just plug it into the power socket here via a 2 prong adapater you'll destroy the phone. But....I think the ESB lines in Ireland are at 220 volts so if your phone takes 220 volts then you are ok, you can just get one of the cheap 2 prong adapter.

SteelBlue05 said:
Careful, you need to check what the 2 prong adapter is. I had a problem before, not with a phone, but with another electrical item I bought from overseas (US), the adapter that came with it was made to only accept a low voltage so when I tried just using a 3 prong adpater I blew the damn 2 prong adapter.
Wise words I'm sure (don't burn your house down witchymand) however the US uses 110 volts which explains SteelBlue05’s difficulties whereas Australia uses 220/240 as we do so there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
michaelm said:
Or if you have a double adaptor lying around you should be able to plug to that (you will need to temporarily stick something into the earth slot to allow the 2 pins to go in - obviously without the double adaptor plug to the wall).

The two pins on Australian plugs are not suitable for this, they are thinner strips of metal than our two pins and are aligned diagonally.

If the voltage is OK (many phone chargers are multi voltage and can accept 110-240 it will say somewhere on it what voltages can be used) get a plug adapter, they are common enough, as mentioned earlier try Dunnes.

Back