My garden brick border: advice please

brian.mobile

Ok, I cut a trench around the edge of the garden and I have 200 bricks laid side to side around the edge of the garden just below garden level.

This will stop the grass growing into the stone / gravel areas of the path / garden nicely (I can mow the grass over the bricks)

Now I need to make it all permanent and set each brick 'securely'...

Can anyone now tell me:

1 - What do I put under the bricks? (sand, gravel, mortar etc?)
2 - What do I use between the bricks? (?????)

From your own experiences -what works well?

Ta,

BM

For a proper job, mortar both under and between.

you may also drive steel peggs (re-bar) 300mm long at 500 c/c into the ground. The single course of brick on mortar may be prone to movement. Mortar mix should 1:3

Jaid

Just to clarify: the bricks are laid on their edges, on course. Like paving almost.

Any further advice appreciated.

B

if its only a single course won't matter too much but a good base is always better to work on and even level to boot. a string line or a long length of timber for the straight bits but a few beers and you should be right

if its only a single course won't matter too much but a good base is always better to work on and even level to boot. a string line or a long length of timber for the straight bits but a few beers and you should be right

dble8,

Your bang on, one of the most important things for the weekend gardener to remember, is that you should never forget the beers

Jaid