My experiences of getting car finance

car

Thought Id share a recent experience with getting finance for a car that might be of benefit to others.

Was looking for 15k over 3 years. Firstly I went online to all the banks to see what they could do for me. Ulster at 6.8, BOS at 7.2 rest were upwards of that. But thats not the point, there'll always be someone .1% cheaper then the other guy. Heres the way to do it, get your lowest rate and then get your repayments on that. I went with NIB in the end as I have my mortage with them and they sorted the loan in a day for me. Worked out at 462e per month which was about 6.9%.
I then started looking at cars, I went to 3 dealerships Mazda, Renault and BMW. Of course they all tried to sell me finance as well as the car. Renault wouldnt come below 8.5% which was bad even after I told them what I was getting from my bank. However, both Mazda and BMW came down from initial high rates of around 8% and matched my bank. I had the money at that stage but didnt tell the dealers that as I was interested in what they had to offer. I settled on a SH BMW and proceeded to haggle on the price of the car. I had 3k to put on top of the 15k loan so I wouldnt go above 18k, he wouldnt go below 18,500. So the salesman got their finance to build the extra 500 into the loan so repayments and term would be the same, in effect taking their interest rate lower then the bank. I checked the over all rate with Karls calc and it shows the APR rate is down to below 5.5%. Just goes to show what they have to play with and they can do it if they want.

Important to have that repayment figure (in my case 462e) when you sit down with the dealers finance person as they will ask you what rate you got elsewhere so theyll know what they have to play with and theres no point them quoting you something higher then what you got from the bank.

Contrast this with me ringing my local BOI branch, car loan rate at 8.9% (although this was variable and would come down if fixed), quite high I said and while Id like to do business with you as I bank with you I can get 6.8% var. off UB online which you can check for yourself. He actually said well youd be better off doing that then! :eek:

Ive put this in car related issues but if someone thinks it might be better in one of the financial forums then please move.

Kudos to you, both on the hard haggling and the efforts to reduce your financing rates. I wish everyone did the same.

I did something similiar when I bought my car a couple of months back, and got the finance company down to 5.9% - and got them to wave both the initial document fee and some fee the finance company were going to charge me at the end of the finance deal, another €60 or so.

What a rip off, just goes to show if you go into a bank manager or lender and think they're doing YOU a favour they'll treat you like the mug you are!

Did similar in January of this year, although a little bit naively! I had been approved by pTSB for a car loan (12K over 3 years) so went car shopping.

Found a car for 12,500 that I liked and another in a garage accross the road for 12,000, same year, model, etc. Different mileage was the only real difference. Anyway, haggling with dealer over still charging 2005 prices even though it was now 2006, similar car accross road, €500 less, etc. managed to get price down to 11K, full tank of petrol and a free service!

Garage took me through their finance options, wasn't paying much attention until I got back to pTSB to collect the money for the car, realised that the dealer was cheaper than the bank, pointed this out to bank who, very quickly, came back with lower interest rates. Until this, had never realised that interest rates charged by banks were negotiable!

(And was suprised how quickly car dealer agreed to the free tank of petrol, I was just chancing my arm!)

If you have a decent bit of equity on your main house, why not take a loan out on that with the view of paying it off over the 3-5 years? Just say you are doing home improvements so they have no problems!!

Interest rates currently 4.5% (give or take).

No personal loan from a bank will beat that?

Feedback?

Clare

Welcome to Askaboutmoney. You will increase your chances of getting an answer if you start a new thread instead of interrupting a different thread. I have moved your post to here

Brendan

Feedback?

1. You'd be paying back for a car long after it's been recycled for coke cans.
2. The interest rate is lower per year, but you'd end up paying much more interest - paid for a lot longer.

General rule of finance - Use medium term loans to pay for an asset that will last a medium term.

I thought it was supposed to be difficult to get a short term (< 5 years) home improvement loan at home loan rates ( < 5%) , so as above, you'll be paying smaller int rates but over longer so no difference and in most cases the final figure is more. If you do get the home loan rates over short term, fair play.

Back