My DRN (Debt Relief Notice).

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you have the name of a person and need to establish their credentials you can use it (so you can use it to check a person out but not to look for any possible persons who are on the register)

I would advise anybody to apply, there have been hiccups but they seem to be resolved.

My AI said the first few applications were returned for the same issues so special attention was paid to these issues later.

when I have been through court, I hope to pass on all the issues I overcame when applying.

That doesn't make sense. Wasn't there a legal requirement for public register so that it could be checked, not checked if you needed to and had the exact spelling of a particular name.

For example, take the property price register, they spelling on there can be brutal, and big mistakes can mean you don't initially spot what has been sold in a particular area, but by broadening your search you find all properties sold.

Eg:

Upper Leeson Street

might be

Up. Leeson St.

or

Leeson St. Upper

Or

Michael Francis Murphy

Mike F. Murphy

I suspect that the ISI is against publishing the information but that the Act requires it, so they are just making it as difficult as possible for people to find it.

Brendan

I don't see why they would be against the Act, in any case they should be abiding by the law.

Hi, I am glad that finally, after a situation which was long winding and testing, that you have been granted your DRN. Your future will be more content I hope

Well done Guinea Pig, now you can start marking the calendar :) Am half tempted to search the register for "Guinea Pig" and see if you are registered as that ;)

No I have a fairly common 70's name!

This morning I got 2 letters from creditors confirming that they have received notice of my DRN and assigning me an account contact with a direct line.

Both say that they will be writing off the debt in the future and that it will be on the ICB report etc. So it looks like the 5 years for a clean ICB report doesn't start the day you get the DRN, its sometime after. I had planned on getting a copy of my report in a month or two but may leave it for a while now until I am sure that all debts have been written off.

ESB account still shows a small balance owed, much smaller than the quoted amount on the court document as I was topping up the meter obviously as needed hence paying 25% of the top up off the debt. No idea how that is going to play out.

But for now....I can answer the phone.

But for now....I can answer the phone.

I'm so glad for you Guinea pig. Don't stop the story here. Please let us know about the 5 years and when it starts, and let us know what the creditors do, each of them.

Very very happy for you, must be such a relief you can answer the phone.

This thread has been most informative on how a DRN works in practice. It will hopefully be of help to others.

Will do, 1st bit of advice that I would pass on is the advice you gave about leaving your utility supplier as soon as you seek a DRN, I woudl make things so much easier to manage.

Well it's been a while!
I'm sorry to resurect and old thread, but I thought it was important to report some things that happened.
On the DRN side, the 5 years are up but I haven't received anything to say that.
Then today I get a letter from AIB.
They say they were made aware of my DRN in 2014 and they made a mistake and didn't close my account.
Instead they are only closing my account now. So I think I'll have a bad record from this month for 6 years, not from 2014.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding that correctly, I'll try up load the letter.

I'll call the back on Monday for clarification and I'll also apply for a copy of my credit report.

I haven't applied for any finance since 2013 so haven't been negativity affected that way.

IMG_20191115_205541.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to worry. Banks make mistakes but have procedures in place to correct them.

Your credit record will be correct as of 31st January next.

Brendan

Back