My ceiling appears to be Live!!

B

boots82

Hi
Can anyone give me advice? I went to put a new light fitting up in my kitchen today. I used a voltage detector to make sure that there were no wires where I wanted to drill. It is indicating that the whole of my ceiling is live, no matter where I place the detector. I also tested this in my hallway and this is the same. Has anyone got any ideas on this?

Many Thanks
Michelle

Try it somewhere you know has no wires at all. if it still indicates live then either it is faulty or you are not using it correctly.

Well I tried it all over. Is there any way to use a voltage detector incorrectly? I thought you just pressed a button and it told you whether there was voltage in that area?

Is this one of those pipe or stud detectors.

My one has to be adjusted to get correct positive responses.
Also there is a different setting if you are searching for metal pipes and wires or wooden studs.
Is there a wheel to adjust the sensitivity. What do the instructions say.

it is possible that where you are detecting is a route or path for all your circuits going back to the fuseboard.if your f/b is inside your front door then all the cables feeding the hall,kitchen will have been run along this path.

That was meant as a joke but if she's in the North Kildare area then I'd be happy to oblige ;)

My shower was live for years and did not know it till we had to get a new power shower. I kept getting shocks but I get static shocks of everything so thought it was that. Also builder did not put earth wire to the ground so nothing was earthed. If orried get somebody who knows what they are doing in

Back