Musty smell coming from the air vents?

BK0001

Hi,
I've a 05 Mondeo and recently I've being getting a musty smell coming from the air vents in the cabin. It goes away if I use the A/C but returns when I turn it off.
Any ideas out there what's causing this?

Thanks

There are a few existing threads on this sort of issue if I recall correctly. They might be of relevance.

Had the same issue with an Opel Vectra. Problem was the pollen filter. Once I replaced it, the smell was gone. I was also advised to turn the ventilation to full speed without airconditioning before turning off the engine.

Pollen filter or maybe something to do with the AIRCON.

You need to get this serviced or cleaned now and again.

Change the pollen filter,if it still persisits you might need the aircon system cleaned.If the aircon is not run very often fungus can can grow inside the system causing this smell.Should be run 10-15 mins per week regardless of whether you actually need it or not.

had a similiar fault ,i emptied the wiper wash bottle gave it a good clean,and put some washer additive in the replenished fluid,its fine now.

Hi,
I've a 05 Mondeo and recently I've being getting a musty smell coming from the air vents in the cabin. It goes away if I use the A/C but returns when I turn it off.

Thanks
mondeo heating rads are known to leak sometimes. your heated air comes through the cabin vents by a fan with a small radiator in fromt of the fan. the fan blows air through the rad, which gives you heated air. if the rad is leaking, the water will be vapourised and blown into the cabin. this water comes from the main engine rad, which has coolant aditive in it which can smell very musty. i would hazard a guess that this is your problem. i doubt if its the wiper washer bottle.

Hi,

Thanks

Same thing happened to my Mondeo,you can buy Air-con cleaner/deoderiser from halfords or god motor factors.[broken link removed]:)

You're supposed to run the A/C on full hot for a couple of minutes a month to clear out any residual moisture in the ventilation system. Just wait till the engine's warm and drive with the windows open while you're doing it.

Particularly important on manual A/C but also applies to climate control.

SSE

Back