Musty & damp smells

JEMOL

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of musty and damp smells in a house after burst pipes and a lot of water. Also mold on the walls. Its in a foreign property so can't be aired regularly. Are there any products available that would help?

Thanks
jemol

IMHO you need to use a dehumidifier to remove the excess moisture from the atmosphere.

Would renting rather than buying a dehumidifier not be a better option? It's hardly something that you will be using regularly and if it is then you probably have structural problems that would merit attention?

Would renting rather than buying a dehumidifier not be a better option? It's hardly something that you will be using regularly and if it is then you probably have structural problems that would merit attention?

Not to disagree on the merits of checking out the structure, I understand that a dehumidifier is actually very good in hot, humid climates, eg a holiday property, so you may end up using one more than you imagine. It works a bit like an air conditioner! Just a thought though, not necessarily a recommendation. A friend has one and uses it here in teh summer, during uncomfortably hot spells, and swears by it!

Thanks all but I have already used a dehumidifer to get rid of the excess water but it still smells. Any other ideas much appreciated.