Music for the gym

europhile

Okay guys, suggestions for tracks for the mp3 player for the gym. I need something to keep me going and to block out the crap music they play there.

I like punk and powerpop - stuff from the late 70s and early 80s. Don't think The Ramones would be the best idea as I'd keep falling off the treadmill.

Tracks, not bands, please.

Any ideas?

Right, how about a few standards to get ya started:

1 Oliver's Army (The Real Elvis)
2 Another Girl, Another Planet (The Only Ones)
3 Eton Rifles (The Jam)
4 Ten Storey Love Song (Stone Roses)
5 You've Got My Number (The Undertones)
6 Ever Fallen in Love (The Buzzcocks)
7 Enola Gay (OMD)
8 Get Over You (The Undertones)
9 Ca Plane Pour Moi (Plastic Bertrand)
10 Bohemian Like You (Dandy Warhols)
11 Here Comes Your Man (The Pixies)
12 There She Goes (The Las)
13 Alternative Ulster (SLF)
14 Down in the Tube Station.... (The Jam)
15 There is a Light (The Smiths)
16 Walter's Trip (Frank and Walters)
17 Chasing Rainbows (Shed Seven)
18 Slight Return (The Bluetones)
19 Made of Stone (Stone Roses)
20 OX4 (Ride)

Trust me, you'll be running the marathon in half an hour if you keep up with those beats-per-minute

Thank you. Some great suggestions there. About half a dozen of which I've already included on my gym playlist.

Is this your personal playlist?

Any more, guys?

Yup have about 10 of the above tunes on my ipod. try also
David Bowie - Lets Dance
New Order - Blue Monday
Joy Division - love will tear us apart
Anything at all by the Stone Roses

Would advise you to have a look on itunes at least you can listen to the tune before you buy it - even if you get it from somewhere else. They also have free podcasts containing hours worth of workout music for fast/slow running, walking, cross training etc - dance music not my personal choice. I listen to anything by Bob Dylan, beatles, badly drawn boy, Rodrigo & Gabrielle (great for running) and of course stone roses.

Thanks for that. Much and all as I love it, I somehow can't imagine Love will Tear Us Apart Again getting my pulse going. Might look into the Stone Roses. They sort of passed me by.

Love will tear us apart is a great song for the treadmill. I run to anything by ACDC, Guns n Roses Queen, Stone Roses, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, The Cult etc. The best punk album in the world ever is also a good one. I can't stand the pop/dance rubbish that's played in the gym.

Yup, I was wrong about Love will tear us apart again.

I've downloaded a version I'm not familiar with though.

Yup, I was wrong about Love will tear us apart again. I've downloaded a version I'm not familiar with though.

Hope it isn't one of those b1oody cover versions, those responsible should serve out their remaining days in a labour camp. Sacrilege.

Good grief, no. It's the version from this:

http://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Joy-Division-1995/dp/B000002N0S

A bit "clean" for my taste.

Try http://www.amazon.com/Nouvelle-Vague/dp/B0007YMVOW/sr=1-2/qid=1170891849/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-8796070-1502402?ie=UTF8&s=music (this) one then.

Nice...

Try http://www.amazon.com/Nouvelle-Vague/dp/B0007YMVOW/sr=1-2/qid=1170891849/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-8796070-1502402?ie=UTF8&s=music (this) one then.

Nice...

Oi!!!

Although.......recently fell in love with Nouvelle Vague's cover of 'Dance with me'. But I draw a big, fat, chunky, black line at them covering 'Love will tear us apart': it's a no, no, no, no. It'd be like Jilly Cooper rewriting the Bible. (Not that I've ever read either )

You old fogeys should try listening to some music from this century

Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, Snow Patrol, white stripes etc.

All class albums and would be great for the gym.

You could also search for some podcast work out music - there's lots out there!

Bob

I've tried listening to the White Stripes at the gym but most of the songs just don't have the right beat. As for Snow Patrol - might as well be listening to the radio because they're so overplayed.

Jilly Cooper rewriting the Bible?
('Yea, verily did she tremble as he smote her again and again with his staff....')
Brings a new image to psalm 23

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil.
For thou art with me.
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me

Apologies for going off-topic and bringing this thread down to ClubMan's level.

Yup, I was wrong about Love will tear us apart again.

I've downloaded a version I'm not familiar with though.

I downloaded a good podcast from itunes. called The official streetlife DJs Podcast - some rubbish on it but also has a lot of David Bowie, sex pistols, the Clash, nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Human League, Joy Division New Order, Primal Scream - I forgot to mention these in my list up above.

You old fogeys should try listening to some music from this century

Ah Bob, when you get to our age you're lucky to be able to hear at all, never mind expose your ears to young people's music.

I have a very large soft spot (could be my beer belly) for Arcade Fire. Like Snow Patrol too but was alarmed to hear 'Chasing Cars' being used as mood music in a cookery programme the other day. Next thing I'll be hearing them in the freezer section of Superquinn.