Case study Multiple unsolicited calls recently

ATC110

I've been receiving calls from various UK telephone numbers (mainly 0330) about online trading recently.

I did not opt to receive such calls and don't know how they got my number.

Does anyone know if there's been a hacking incident of any institutions which might hold such details recently?

I have very same problem. I'm getting several a day now, so annoying. I answered one and there was silence. I block them now but more keep coming.

I have very same problem. I'm getting several a day now, so annoying. I answered one and there was silence. I block them now but more keep coming.

Likewise..a female caller said I'd asked to receive such calls and then swore at me yesterday

Likewise..a female caller said I'd asked to receive such calls and then swore at me yesterday
if they use such language, then next time, blow a whistle down the phone line... or alternatively, don't answer / just hang up...

I have been getting loads over the last week as well. They somehow know my mobile number and my name so they have managed to get some data from somewhere.

+442037690996 (same as previous poster)
+447903953283
+443307771487
+441617050982 etc,

About 3 or 4 more other numbers. They say something about investing before I hang up and block the number.

One thing I did recently before the calls started was apply for DeGiro, anyone do that too ?

I am getting the exact same calls from the same numbers. Very annoying.

I am blocking and reporting as spam. Does that do anything? Who does the spam report go to?

One thing I did recently before the calls started was apply for DeGiro, anyone do that too ?

I have never registered with DeGiro so I would think that DeGiro are not the source of our details.

I got two of those yesterday to my home phone number which I never use really anymore.

Both were very annoyed when I said I had no interest and asked why I had changed my mind since reegistering. When I said I didn't register for anything they were able to quote my email address to me which was correct. However even if I accidentally registerd for something which I know very well I didn't I would never give my house phone number so don't know where this crowd are getting their info!

LinkedIn is one potential source, but in reality the data could originate from multiple sources. There are data aggregation services operating on the dark web that pull fragments of data from multiple sources together to build more detailed (and valuable) profiles of people.

I have had the same problem with calls from Ghana and other countries. These calls were mainly at night ringing once or twice and hang up with the hope I would ring them back. Mainly from +233 and + 509 numbers. I asked Vodafone to block international calls but it didn't work so I downloaded the Truecaller app and it has blocked the calls but I get notified that they tried ringing me.

aggregation services operating on the dark web that pull fragments of data from multiple sources together

I must ask Brendan about this untapped revenue source at the next AAM shareholders meeting

• Haha
Reactions: Leo
I've been also getting all of these calls. Recently from a +509 number at all times of the day and night, usually it rings just once and stops. I've also been getting those UK calls for a couple of years now. I used to argue and raise my blood pressure with the lovely people at the other end of the line but in recent months I've been answering and making enough noise that they know the call is answered but I never speak to them and after a few hellos they usually hang up. It gives me far more peace than speaking with them :-D

Just to update here. Got another call, the 5th today. Spoke to man.with Indian accent and he wanted to know if I was interested in making money online through share dealing.
Told him they were flooding Ireland with calls and they better stop....
Damn nuisance. :-(

I have also got these calls from some of the numbers listed.

Claimed I had registered for something, and were asking if I wanted to make money.

It seems like they have an automated outbound dialling system which rings you and then after getting you on the line and hearing you say something, connects them to the call. Note the long silence at start of the call. It implies it's a call center /fairly sophisticated.

Back