Multiple Internet Windows Problem

Cahir

I don't know what I've done but for some reason I can now only look at one internet page at a time as I can't seem to open multiple internet windows.

I was trying to play a yahoo game and it said I need to download the latest version of shockwave media so I did and then it closed down all but one windows. I restarted the computer but I can still only access one web window at a time and it's very frustrating. I looked through the settings but can't find anything about multiple windows.

Anyone know how to fix this?

To make things worse - the game still won't load

What operating system are you using? What browser? What browser version? WHat happens when you try to open a new window?

It start working again but for ages every time I tried to open a new window it just opened in the existing window. Haven't a clue what the operating system is - whatever came with the computer when I bought it. Using Internet explorer and haven't a clue what version. I'm not on that computer now but if I get a chance tonight I'll open it up and have a look.

Hi Cahir - We will need more specific information to be able to help you.

Cahir said:
It start working again but for ages every time I tried to open a new window it just opened in the existing window.
Please let us know exactly what option you are taking in order to open a new window. Are you working within your browser (Internet Explorer) or other application (email?) when you are trying to open the new window?

Cahir said:
Haven't a clue what the operating system is - whatever came with the computer when I bought it.
Look out for details as the machine boots up - Are you running some version of MS Windows? If so, look out for Windows ME, or Windows 2000, or Windows XP. If you can't find which version, please advise when you bought the machine.

To open a new window I was trying file, new window and also going into programs and clicking on the internet logo. These used to work but then stopped.

I almost sure it's Windows XP, bought the computer just over a year ago.

You could try this .....

Open IE
Go to Tools, Internet Options and goto the Advanced tab
Click restore defaults

It's a Windows XP problem alright. It took me a long time to figure it out when I switched to Windows XP but had to get to the bottom of it. Your computer is configured to group all similar documents together. If you go in to Start, up to Settings, across to Taskbar and Start Menu and then untick Group similar taskbar buttons, click Apply and that should sort it out for you. I find it very annoying in Word because I often have 10 documents open together but they were all grouping together and were next to impossible to switch between. Hope that fixes it for you.

Thanks for suggestions. Paddyc I'll try that tonight. Ribena, I don't think it's a grouping problem as it always grouped things together when I had loads open but I could still open a number of different web pages at the same time. Last night there was only one web page window available at any time no matter what I tried. Hopefully it's fixed itself by now.