Mulcher

Christy

I am looking around at lawn mowers and am considering buying one of those mulchers ones. Does anyone have any experience of them, are they any good? What I would be thinking about is if the kids are out playing shortly after the grass was cut would they be walking grass back into the house? My garden is around 1/4 of an acre if that has any relevance.

Thanks

Christy

What I would be thinking about is if the kids are out playing shortly after the grass was cut would they be walking grass back into the house

Yes that will happen as I can confirm from personal experience - it is the major downside of a mulcher. You will also have to cut the grass more often with a mulcher otherwise it won't mulch properly and you will be left with trails on the grass. The upside is you don't have to worry about how to discard the clippings.
To be honest I think mulchers are more suited to older people who might have difficulty lifting around heavy grass collectors ( such as on ride ons ) or where kids playing on the grass is not an issue or where discarding the clippings is not an issue. I have contributed to threads on here in the past in favour of mulchers ( as I have a ride on one myself ) but having used a collector ride on for a month last summer ( due to repairs being carried out to my own one ) I am seriously considering buying a collector version this season mainly because I have youngs kids playing on the grass.

i got through this problem with my tractor mower by making a trailer about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide and about 4 feet high with some bits of metal and wood..cover fhis with plastic on three sides,then remove the grassbox and hitch the trailer on.now the grass shoots out of the mower and into the trailer.no mulching required or frequent emptying.on the downside if the grass is damp it can block the shoot the odd time and make sure to attach the plastic or net properly.
i only have to empty now about 4 times instead of 15 or 16.
when i used the mulsher the grass would occasionaly stick and be very annoying.not any more.

Back