MSN Messenger - how do i spy on it

shootingstar

dont really want to divuge too much into the senario, however I was told that chatting on MSN is somewhat "stored" on your pc somewhere? Where can I find this log?

My record is in "My Documents" then "Received Files" & there is a list of stored conversations.

dont really want to divuge too much into the senario, however I was told that chatting on MSN is somewhat "stored" on your pc somewhere? Where can I find this log?

I don't think you will get much help without telling us why you need this

Does it matter though?

Presumably, she wants to delete any records of these conversations if they are stored - she just needs to know how to do it.

Why she wants to do it is pretty much her business I would have thought.

Shootingstar, if you google 'msn chat stored on pc' or something similiar you will find a whole heap of information that will probably answer your query.

Does it matter though?

Presumably, she wants to delete any records of these conversations if they are stored - she just needs to know how to do it.

Actually the OP has requested help in spying on another persons conversations!

This might be of help.
Your chat logs are usually located in:
My Documents\My Received Files\<<username>>\history\<<contactname>>.xml

[broken link removed]

To do this:

Tools > Options > Messages tab
Tick the Automatically keep a history of my conversations box
Specify location
Press OK.

This could be MSN user specific, not sure.

My need to know should not affect helps & answers. Has never done before, maybe askaboutmoney.com has changed?

Does it matter though?

Thanks Caveat it shouldnt matter and clearly hasn`t, judging by the posts.

Shootingstar, if you google 'msn chat stored on pc' or something similiar you will find a whole heap of information that will probably answer your query.

Ta TS, helpful as always, i`ll try it there now

Actually the OP has requested help in spying on another persons conversations!

I never said that.

Ah OK sorry.

I'm guessing it's due to concern over kids rather than general IT esponiage though!

close :) & nothing to do with husband as one poster suggested... but now that you mention it ;)

huh? How did you get that from the original post? She doesnt say anything about spying on other peoples conversations!

Quite right, i didn`t..

If the request was to be able to 'spy' on someones post or phone conversations would people be so willing to provide solutions ?

The title of the mail clearly used the word 'spy' - it's hard to interpret this any other way than observing without detection or permission.

I'm not saying that people don't sometimes have a need to 'spy' on parents, children, spouses & others, but that doesn't make it a good idea to go about freely providing information on how to do it. It may be that the spying is planned with good intention in order to protect someone, but that doesn't reduce the chances of it being a breach of the persons privacy.

z

If the request was to be able to 'spy' on someones post or phone conversations would people be so willing to provide solutions ?

The title of the mail clearly used the word 'spy' - it's hard to interpret this any other way than observing without detection or permission.

I'm not saying that people don't sometimes have a need to 'spy' on parents, children, spouses & others, but that doesn't make it a good idea to go about freely providing information on how to do it. It may be that the spying is planned with good intention in order to protect someone, but that doesn't reduce the chances of it being a breach of the persons privacy.

z

You could spend some time setting etheral [broken link removed] up to workin premiscious mode and pull the dump down at a network level.

You can filter out all traffic except TCP traffic and can extract the text fairly easily from there assuming there's no encryption going on anywhere.

If its the OPs pc she is perfectly entitled to check what it is being used for by other people.

If its the OPs pc she is perfectly entitled to check what it is being used for by other people.

Is your employer perfectly entitled to check what you are saying and doing with the email, phone and other communications provided for your use ? It's not that simple.

z

Quite right, i didn`t..[/quote]

Well, can you re-interpret "MSN Messenger - how do i spy on it" for us then?

Back