MS Word: 'To the power of' maths notation

zoe

If I want to write a "to the power of' maths notation in MS Word how would I do that?

That's a main number with a small font number in the top right corner as shown here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_of_two#Powers_of_two_whose_exponents_are_powers_of_two

I've tried just copying and pasting a "to the power of" notation from that link, but when pasted the small text number pastes in the same font size as the main number.

Also, if I just shrink the font size of the right number it shrinks it so it is to the bottom right of the main number, rather to the top right.

Thanks

Type the "power" you want 2,3,4,22 etc, then select the digit / number by highlighting it and select Format>Font>Font>Effects and tick the Superscript check-box. (this is one way)

Type the "power" you want 2,3,4,22 etc, then select the digit / number by highlighting it and select Format>Font>Font>Effects and tick the Superscript check-box. (this is one way)

That's great mathepac. Thanks very much.

You can also just press Ctrl+Shift and + all together which give you a superscript; when your done you need to press Ctrl+Shift again. Ctrl and + gives does the same for a subscript.

Or if it's squared or cubed, you can click on Insert / Symbol and select 2 or 3 and insert.
The digits 1-9 are listed there.

I find it's best to add these things afterwards by hand, using a fine felt tip pen. Just be sure to do it before running off any photocopies, to avoid having to repeat the operation dozens (or hundreds) of times!

I find it's best to add these things afterwards by hand, using a fine felt tip pen. Just be sure to do it before running off any photocopies, to avoid having to repeat the operation dozens (or hundreds) of times!

Sounds like one of the versions of those Viz top tips...

Got to Insert-Object-from the option select Microsoft Equation & you have plenty of options there - subscript/superscript to the right or to the left etc.