MS Word: Repagination can it be turned off?

ajapale

Can anyone help me with this MS Word (2002) problem (or perhaps suggest where I might go for help)?

I have a training manual in Word which has some graphics and other advanced formatting features (ie Table of Contents, Sections, newspaper layout etc).

I am experiencing significant delays when scrolling and notice that the status bar is flashing that Word is repaginating. Is there any way to turn this off so things will speed up?

I have tried turning off repagination in Normal View (Normal view, select Tools, Options from the menu, click the General tab, and clear the Background repagination checkbox.) but the graphics and most of the advanced foramatting is not visible in Normal View.

Is there anyway I can disable this irritaing feature and postpone the repagination until just before I need to print.

Thanks

ajapale

Just found this that might help:

By default, Word automatically repaginates your document as you work. At times, this may slow down the program to the point where you consider it unacceptable. The solution is to turn off the background repagination. Word will then only paginate the document when you print or perform some other action that requires pagination (such as using Print Preview). To turn off background repagination, follow these steps:
  1. Select Options from the Tools menu. Word displays the Options dialog box.
  2. Make sure the General tab is selected. (Click here to see a related figure.)
  3. Ensure the Background Repagination check box is clear.
  4. Click on OK.
You should note that the Background Repagination option is not available in Print Layout or, in older versions of Word, Page Layout view. This is because Word must automatically repaginate in that view to enable the proper display of information on the screen.

Last edited: