MS Word Pagination Query

dave28

I have to insert a footer on a Word Document for a project / essay i am completing as part of a course. The requirements are clear including :

"Pages to be numbered except for the facing page which should not be numbered"

I can't figure out how to skip the facing page and start numbering the next (second) page as 1 and so on .....

I am using MS Word on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance -

Dave

hi dave. not sure which version of word i have, but here goes! Before starting, save your doc!!
Then, go to the page where you want to start the numbering (i.e. the 2nd page of your doc).
Go to View in the menu & select Header & Footer.
Add your page # (you can use the 'insert autotext' for this) & then select the 'page setup' button. (if you can't find the button for page setup, go to File/Page Setup).
In Page Setup, select the tab 'layout' & under the section 'header & footers' tick the box for 'different first page' & click ok.
Hope this works for you!

Thanks very much for your help Cinders.

It worked fine - (except i cant get the second page to start with a "one" - if I select autoselect it starts at "2" on the second page, if I type in "1" manually "1" stays on every page !)

But it's actually fine as it is - cover page without a number and next pages 2, 3, 4, etc
Thanks again
Dave

Using Office 2003, the following method will work for you -

Go to page 1
Click on Insert, Break, Continuous

Go to page 2

Click on Insert, Page Numbers
Choose the Position for your page numbers (left, centre, right)
If “Show number on first page” is selected, deselect it
Click on Format, Cick on Start at
In the pulldown options choose “0”

Your first page will not be numbered
Your second page will be number 1

Back