MS Vista 32 bit v 64 bit?

IrishGunner

Getting a new pc and installing Vista but wondering what the differences is between the 32bit version and the 64 buit

from searching but is most software compatible with the 32 than 64?

Searching I found out that32bit can only use around 3.25GBs ram total 64bit can use a lot more

In Laymans terms what does this mean ?

Depends what you want to use the PC for, if you have a specific task that requires an awful lot of processing power or in excess of 4GB RAM, then maybe the 64-bit version might be useful. If not, you may find that you have trouble getting hold of 64-bit drivers for some hardware, and some 32-bit software may not be compatible.

Jon

?

Only software specifically written/compiled for 64 bit will take advantage of the enhanced memory addressing capabilities of a 64 bit operating system.

Thanks for the googler will go though that

Below is the spec that I am thinking of getting. Going to use it for Internet, email, downloading. Will be using Photoshop on occasion, Dreamweaver for uploading files and Nero and Convertxdvd for burning cd & DVd. Also have Zone Alarm pro and Eset Anti Virus

So better to get 64 bit or 32 bit for the below ?

System: Intel Core 2 Duo
3.0GHz
E8400 Wolfdale FSB 1333
Equipment:
- ASUS P5KPL G31 1333
ATX
- NVidia GeForce 8600GT
1024MB
- 750GB SAMSUNG SATA-2
HDD
- 4GB RAM DDR2 800MHz
KINGSTON
- LG GH20 LS15 20x Multi
DL DVD-RW LightScribe
- DVD-RW Samsung
18x/18x/4,0x RAM DL SHS182A/
BEBE: € 37.90
- Ankermann MidiTower
Silver: € 0.00
- Coolermaster Box Cooler
- 600W PFC Switching
power supply
- Realtek ALC850 6 Channel
Audio
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

They do have a XP option & was going to get that but have choosen to go with Vista

But checking first to see what programs are compatible etc

I'll side-step that whole XP vs Vista debate and answer your question - I'd stick with 32-bit for what you're planning to use the PC for.

32bit with Xp - theres nothing hardcore running on your machine reading from your list of uses. Keep these things as simple as possible - thats my opinion anyways.

Just a quick note to clarify this issue with the Nvidia Graphics cards...it only affects laptops not desktops, the cards are overheating and causing the laptops to fail. Dell brought out a BIOS update for my laptop (a Dell Latitude D630) which is supposed to fix the problem but the fix creates another problem as the fan is now always on to cool the graphics card, the battery life at maximum power saving went from 2.5 - 3 hours down to less than an hour :(...I've no doubt there wil be another 'fix' soon from all of the complaints :rolleyes:

Stay in denial Sn@kebite you have a good card that isn't affected.

How can you be sure thats its just the mobile cards or thats its Propaganda?

Thus far the Inquirer has been right with Nvidia being very quiet about it, and the bios updates all point to the same thing. But these parts seem to be failing, especially in the least well cooled first (smaller laptops) The ones with better cooling are likely to last longer. The Inquirer is now suggesting its all of these chips will fail eventually including those in desktops.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055340806&page=2

So I was playing Hitman 4 Blood Money with graphics and res up full and it crashed twice but it didn't before after using it for about 3 days. I don't know if its coincidence b/c i thought it was just laptops too. But I will need to see if it needs to be run-in...

The graphics card was very hot to touch btw.

Back