Mrs Fowler Doing Her Driving Test Today

BobbyFowler

Mrs Fowler is doing her driving test today. One of the reasons she failed last time was because while driving through an estate with a number of speed bumps, she went up to 3rd gear between the bumps before going back to 2nd when going over them. The tester said she should have stayed in 2nd gear. Personally, I'd always go back up to 3rd gear. She hasn't gone and got a PreTest. Rules Are Rules as they say - this one sounds a bit strange though. Any ideas?

Probably more a case of not making the best/most efficient use of gears I'd say rather than something specific to speed bumps - just happened to be speed bumps in this case. You shouldn't be unnecessarily changing up and down gears. For what it's worth, I would have stayed in 2nd.

I suppose it would depend on the distance between the bumps, they are designed as a traffic calming measure so it may have been more prudent to stay in second gear and maintain a lower speed.

Jeez I would'nt fancy doing a driving test today...with all that snow last night! Just back from Drogheda town centre and some parts of the road were treacherous.

You really have to wonder what relevance it has (speed bumps in 2nd/3rd gear) to driving competence. If this is a criteria that is used for allowing / not allowing people on the roads while paying no attention to behavioural aspects of driving, no wonder the death tolls are as high as they are.

If this is a criteria that is used for allowing / not allowing people on the roads while paying no attention to behavioural aspects of driving

Well it's part of the criteria - but why do you think that means attention is not paid to behavioural aspects?

I am fairly certain there is no rule or law thats says what gear you should be in.....

Don't think so but as mentioned, not making efficient/best use of the gears (or however it's actually phrased) is regarded as a 'fault' and if repeated, could contribute to a fail.

This could only have been a very small proportion of the reason she failed. It would only have been marked as a minor fault, of which you need many (can't remember how many) in one particular catagory in order to fail.

This could only have been a very small proportion of the reason she failed. It would only have been marked as a minor fault, of which you need many (can't remember how many) in one particular catagory in order to fail.

Yes I agree (I think 8 of these types of faults are allowed by the way)

My point was simply that driving in the wrong gear is a fault which some of the above posters seem not to accept.

Some aspects of the driving test have changed in the past few decades so depending when you did your test, some points may now seem unusual e.g., it's amazing how many people still think that engaging the clutch before applying the brake is the correct way to brake - it hasn't been for some time.

For anyone interested

[broken link removed]is a copy of the tester marking sheet and

this is the marking system.

Good luck to Mrs F.

She's got her Winter Tyres On :) & has headed off for the test. I've shown her the replies to the question. Thanks for the advice.

Good News - She Passed
Funnily enough the one thing she was pulled up on this time was the fact that she stayed in 2nd Gear between Speed Bumps??

Last edited:
She's got her Winter Tyres On :) & has headed off for the test. I've shown her the replies to the question. Thanks for the advice.

Good News - She Passed
Funnily enough the one thing she was pulled up on this time was the fact that she stayed in 2nd Gear between Speed Bumps??

Congrats to Mrs. Fowler.

Well done Missus F. (Robbie will be so proud :) )

It doesn't really surprise me that what was she didn't do the last time and DID do this time is still a flaw !

We all know of personal experiences or stories involving loved ones or close friends which defy explanation. Too fast, too slow, lane position, braking, blah blah blah.

I hate to say it, but someone passing the test makes me no more confident of their abilities.

Until we teach the 'physics' of driving to potential drivers, and not just the 'rules' then the roads will never be safe !

Back