Mr Draghi ECB "notes" steps re Anglo Irish

dewdrop

When i heard this it reminded me of my experience over 50 years ago in the Head Office of a major irish bank. When Branches wrote in that they had allowed unauthorised excess on an overdraft they were usually scolded with words like "surprise, appaled, concerned etc and the reply letter used the word "observe" to comment. If some unfortunate official said the position was "noted" he was in deep trouble as this was an indication that the position has been sanctioned.

Debt w/o was needed.

Politicians jump for joy about a 3rd rate deal

What amused me was he said it was unanimously noted. What if he had said "Everybody except the Belgian guy noted..." Would this mean the Belgian guy was asleep or too busy or didn't understand English?:p

I am trying to picture a note from my boss saying "Everyone in management has noted your chewing gum in front of the customers". I am not sure I would take it as a vote of approval.:eek:

I think there has to be 100% approval. In past times in financial circles at least the word "note" had the same meaning as approval at least in the Bank i worked in.

Back