MPV - Which One ?

legend

hi all,

just looking for some advice... have been looking for a family car now a while and have narrowed it down to Mazda 5 and Corolla Verso, any opinions on either ? good value to be had now for a 08...

many thanks,

Mazda 5 really only has six seats, the middle seat in the second row only suitable for a very small child!
Ford S-Max beats both hands down - test drive one before making any decision.

what about Quasquai+2 ? I know its new, I pricewise they pobably similar to a 1yo s-max

Ford S-Max by a mile. The only negative about the smax is the lack of a spare wheel.

thanks all,

love the s max but mrs legend is more comfortable with the verso as it is that bit smaller....

diesel or petrol verso ?

"spare wheel of s max in under the boot space"

This is incorrect, there is no spare wheel with the S-Max.

thanks all,

love the s max but mrs legend is more comfortable with the verso as it is that bit smaller....

diesel or petrol verso ?
diesel

but the 2.2 with the 6sp

we have the 5sp 2.0D and I definitely feel it needs the extra gear when on the motorways

Mid Ulster have a nice one you would clear for about €26k
http://www.midulstercars.net/

Hard pushed to find one with that spec down here. A new Sol would set you back €37k

They have one in stock. Ask for Paul herriot. He'll set you right.

Ford S-Max is highly rated but hard to find one of the Zetec Models - There seems to be a lot of the basic spec ones around but they were still too expensive when I last looked 6mths ago. We eventually went for a Citroen C4 Picasso and very pleased so far - only drawback is that it's a little underpowered. You should clarify if you need just 5 seats or 7 full seats because there are a lot of 7 seaters out there with very small boot space when all seats are up. Mitsubishi Grandis is worth a look, if you like the Japanese styling but I found it sounded like a tractor - not very refined.

We have the Verso - bought in May 08 - very happy with it - feels like a car to drive - plenty of room for 5 adults and 2 kids with little or no luggage - have had no problems with it and can see it satisfying our needs for the next few years. HTH

I'd have to disagree with you there on the Grandis. My sis has a '08 one (2.0DiD) and its one of the quietest diesel engines I have ever heard (or not heard)
She loves it....its bigger than the Verso which I think the OP says his wife prefers due to its size.

We only use the 5 seats all the time in the Verso, but occasionally have needed the extra 2 when taking extra kids. Otherwise its an excellent 5 seater

buddy has an S-max, no spare wheel, the hand brake lever fell apart after a few months, and now the wipers turn on and off themselves !! crazy car.... got them fixed under warranty, but not looking good at a year/two old...

thanks folks,

well this is def rip off ireland.... have gone to several toyota garages in cork looking for the verso (08)......with cash no trade in....

i can get 1.6 / 1.8 versions for approx 23... offered 20 and was rejected..

have found a may 08 - 9k 2.2l version with 6 sp box in the uk from a main dealer all in VRT cleared for 21,000 euro....... vrt 24% and road tax 430 per year... seems like it's a simple decision.... when are these car dealers going to learn ?

will let ye know how i get on...

Hold tough on your good offer. I made an offer 2 weeks ago which was also rejected and the dealer has called me back 4 times since then. His mistake was not accepting my original offer. Unfortunately for him, I have seen better cars from other dealers at keened prices. revisiting them towards the end of the month when they may be under more pressure to shift inventory & bring in cash. Customer is King, so do not let yourself be railroaded. Good Luck.

Regarding my comments on the Grandis, my budget could only get me a 2006 model so it sounds like they fixed the noisy "tractor" engine in 07/08. Good for them.