MP3 player

U

Unregistered

I purchased an MP3 some time ago, only to find out it would not work with Windows 98, so I upgraded to Windows XP and still no go.
Now beforehand with Windows 98, i could connect my digital camera to computer, and now with windows xp, i am not having any luck with that either.
Would anyone have any suggestion
I got on to the people that supplied me with MP3 player, and they said it might be a driver problem, and cannot do anything about it, and said maybe to contact manufacture of computer, i can't see any reason in doing this, because there really wants anything wrong with the computer until i upgraded.

If your computer originally had Windows 98 on it, am I right in guessing its's a few years old? Can you post basic specs? (Processor speed & RAM)

It could be that it's just struggling a bit to run WinXP... this happened to me when I installed XP on a 6-year old laptop (330Mhz Celeron/128Mb RAM), so I ended up 'wiping' it and re-installing Win 98SE.

Hi

The computer is an Intel Pentium 111 processer
498 MHZ & 128 MB Ram

I had a bit of a pain two years ago with a similar issue. I had Win2k on a similar spec PC. It really is only a driver problem with the USB ports. try looking under Device manager (start - settings - control panel - system - hardware). Check to see if there are any errors with the USB controllers. Try to delete them and reboot the PC to let XP re-install.

Good luck

Many thanks

I really dont know anything about computers, when you say drivers what do you mean by this.
When I go into control panel, system, hardware, what sort of errors am i to look for.

Thanks in advance

Drivers are basically a piece of software on the desktop that connects the hardware to XP.

Once you open device manager you might see exclamation marks or red alerts beside some of the listed devices. There are the ones with an issue. Sometimes deleting them and rebooting lets XP re-install them properly.

Here is a great website for finding out what different computer terms mean

http://www.webopedia.com/