mp3 encoder

D

dollyclare

I downloaded wmplayer 10 so that I had the option of wma or mp3.Now if I try and rip or burn in mp3 format it says I must install a compatible mp3 encoder.How do I know which one is compatible and which one?Is it free?
thanks

I use CDEX.

It's good, it's free and it's not Microsoft.

Download Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with LAME encoder as a backend. You'll get really good sounding rips of Audio CDs at moderate file sizes.

please could you give me the exact site and name for cdex.I@m confused.I downloaded what I thought was an mp3 encoder,cdex 130,then I uninstalled.Now I have a cdex 150 and dont know how to apply it to my wmplayer ripping.(its probably the wrong one again.)

thanks TarfHead.The only reason I dloaded cdex is cause my wm player said I had to install a compatible mp3 encoder if I wanted to convert to mp3 rather than wma.I think I have figured out the following-ripping from cd through wmplayer will always be in wma format.-cdex only helps with ripping from cd.I don't need it as I already can rip from cd to real player which rips in mp3 format.I was trying to find a way to download tunes from a website(not rip from cd)in mp3 format only as my portable device will not read wma.So every time I dload a tune from eircom.net or mycokemusic.com its in wma,then I burn it to a cd,then its in mp3 format so I transfer it to my portable device.It seems a long way round and a waste of cd which I don't need .Am I making sense???

What sort of portable MP3 player do you use? Are you sure that you need to burn CDs at all?

Are you sure you're using the most up-to-date version of Windows Media Player (10 ?) cos the one on my PC rips to both WMA and MP3.

I am using a pvr which will not read wma files.I can rip from a cd in mp3 format using real player.but if I download from a web site if it is in wma I have to burn a cd then to get it into mp3 format.I have Windows media IO.
thanks

but if I download from a web site if it is in wma I have to burn a cd then to get it into mp3 format

You don't have to burn CDs to convert WMA to MP3 but if you mean that you do this to play them on your CD/MP3 player then that makes sense to me now.

Yes thanks clubman that's what I mean.I know you can dload free wma to mp3 converters.

I have downloaded tracks from mycokemusic that are in wma format. Eventually I will want to burn these to a cd in mp3 format for use in the car (player is not wma compatible AFAIK). I have been wondering if I will be able to burn these tracks to mp3 cd from musicmatch, or using a wma/mp3 convertor. I thought the music you downloaded from mycokemusic was protected/restricted in what you can do with the track once you have it on your pc. Any opinions?

I went through something similar over the weekend with albums downloaded (eventually) from eircom music club which is, in effect, the same as mycokemusic (they both use OD2.com).

Some of the albums I downloaded had licences attached which meant I could only play them through WinMP a limited number of times. I used the licence refreshes to burn the music to CD and then ripped that back to WMA for my MP3 player. I tried to play the files downloaded from eircom on the MP3 player and they wouldn't work so I guess that was the licence protection kicking in. The burned CDs work fine in my CD player.

There are other ways to play your MP3 music in your car, both of which I have tried, neither of which maintain quality.

1. one of those cassette tape shaped gizmos with a headphone jack at the other end. Not the Mae West but at least the quality is better than ..
2. FM transmitter. Bought one on ebay and it's just barely adequate for playing in the car. The car I drive, which is my wife's 10-year old banger, doesn't have a CD player.

FM transmitter. Bought one on ebay and it's just barely adequate for playing in the car.

What bitrate are the MP3s sampled at and is there a noticeable degradation in quality when they are played through the in-car FM transmitter compared to when they are played "normally"?

IMHO it's not the quality of the material that's the problem, rather the 'power' of the transmitter and the 'quality' of the car radio. When I got the transmitter first, I played it through a JVC CD/radio/cassette stereo at home and it sounded fine.

I had intended to play it through the radio of the other car but haven't got round to that yet.

FYI - the music is at 64kps WMA and 128kps MP3.

Re: MP3 player in car

IMHO it's not the quality of the material that's the problem, rather the 'power' of the transmitter and the 'quality' of the car radio. When I got the transmitter first, I played it through a JVC CD/radio/cassette stereo at home and it sounded fine.

I had intended to play it through the radio of the other car but haven't got round to that yet.

There was a discussion on AAM about using an iPod in a car - can't find it now using the Search.

The opinion seems to be that the FM radio transmitters do not work well as you keep having to tune to different stations where there is no static, which is difficult in Dublin, and there are sometimes issues with the volume i.e. the radio volume must be very loud, so when you switch back to a normal FM radio, you blast your eardrums!

The cassette systems seem to be better although I hear that there are moving parts required in order to keep tension against tape heads, which can be audible. No worse that listening to a tape player in car, I suppose.

Some of the better tape player adaptors apparently allow you to change tracks on your iPod / MP3 player by using the FF / REV buttons on your tape player, which is handy.

And of course you may need an adaptor to power the MP3 player, if going on long journeys!

Re: MP3 player in car

There was a discussion on AAM about using an iPod in a car - can't find it now using the Search.

Is the topic you meant? Unfortunately the search doesn't really work well (or at all?).