mp3 connection to car stereo

porterbray

There was a gadget mentioned on ireland am this morning for playing an mp3 through a car stereo. It was a wireless fm transmitter/receiver. Anyone know what it was called and where I could get one?

you can just buy a tape adapator, you put it into your car tape player and connect it to the mp3 player. think they roughly cost 16-20euro

Think they are made by Griffin (I-Trip maybe?). PC World had them for I-Pods, haven't seen them for other MP3 players yet.

haven't seen them for other MP3 players yet.
Lots of generic FM transmitters available. Just not as well marketed or advertised as the likes of the i-Trip. Hook up through the headphone socket and then transmit over a certain frequency.

Most electronics/gadget shops will have them.

The reception can be a bit dodgy, so if you have the budget for it do try and get one where you can adjust the frequency it transmits on (in Dublin the full frequencies mean you may need to jump around for the best signal).

Technically, not 100% legal as some of the low frequencies can interfere with certain Medical/Emergency channels. Previous discussion of such devices covers the full legal side.

Lots of discussion of FM transmitters on AAM.

Power City sell them - they cost between €20-30 depending on the one you choose. I have one & bought one for my Dad for Christmas

Can you adapt these to transmit on a range of frequencies?
It might be good to hook a mic up to one. That way you can bark aggression at other drivers, in the hope they have their radio on.

Can you adapt these to transmit on a range of frequencies?
Some of them come with a tuner to allow for the use of different frequencies, some of them (cheaper versions) come fixed on a single frequency. The majority do have adjustable settings.

Spend €70 in Aldi and buy a MP3 car stereo....easy !
Then sell the other one on Ebay !

Spend €70 in Aldi and buy a MP3 car stereo....easy !
Then sell the other one on Ebay !
This is a very different tool.

An MP3 car stereo has direct connections where the MP3 is wired to the rear of the stereo unit. It requires some instillation and removal of hardware as well as some (slight) knowledge of knowing how the wiring connects/comes apart.

The FM transmitter will work with any radio. This allows the MP3 player be used in any car with a radio tuner. It can also be used in the home to play over a radio.

The former option would be fine if someone spends a huge amount of time in the car and wants the quality to be as high as possible. For most users they'd much prefer the convienience of the latter option.

Think they are made by Griffin (I-Trip maybe?). PC World had them for I-Pods, haven't seen them for other MP3 players yet.

I actually got a Belkin FM transmitter for Xmas-the kind they had in PC World. The annoying thing is that the box is palstered with 'FOR I-POD', but you can actually use it with any MP3 player, but Belkin (and others I'm sure) seem to be going for the I-Pod generation!

It works ok-not perfect, but not bad for €40 or so.