Moving washing machine outdoors

TheBoss

We've recently had a car port installed outside and over our back door ..... a great advantage to have a dry area for bins, fuel, etc and putting the kids in the car on a wet day.

We are now thinking of moving the washing machine outside the back door ..... it is currently in the kitchen ..... we're getting a dishwasher later in the year and thought this might be a good idea to put it where the washing machine is currently .... less plumbing, keep cupboard space, etc.

Has anybody done this?

Comments welcome.

Not a great idea as these appliances are not designed to weatherproof - frost, rain, dust, etc - and you may find that the heat they generate outdoors attracts little furry animals.

Unless you get one of those plastic garden sheds and install this in the car port and install the appliances in it...

mathepac sums it up really- not a good idea. I think corrosion of steel components and electrical parts due to condensation would be a big problem.

Hi TheBoss,

I have done this. I hate the noise of washing machines and have insisted on putting the washing machine outside in both house that I have lived in over the last 10 years and it has never been a problem. Current set up would be like what you propose. As long at the area will be clean and dry I dont see how you will have a problem. I have never had a problem with little animals or any electrical problems. I do have the washing machine enclosed in a kitchen type press so this maybe a possible solution for you.

Dinging.

Thanks for that ..... I had intended enclosing in some sort of cabinet alright ..... so the idea is back on track !!!

Now all I have to do is convince the wife

When we lived in Swaziland our house had a covered stoep, as is common in those parts. Our washing machine lived out ther alongside the two big sinks used for handwashing. It lasted the three years we lived in that house without any problems at all.

The house was 3k outside Mbabane, the capital, at an altitude of 1500m so we had heavy rain at times and also golfball sized hailstones.

Do you have a shed? That would be a better place to put it rather than having it outside exposed to all the elements.

I have seen this done - they used a large plastic fuel/bike storage bunker with lift up front similar to that found in filling stations. Looks odd but works really well - probably a good idea to upend the appliance and apply some WD40 or silicone spray to waterproof/control corrosion. The drier is also there - just outside the back door. - there are electrical safety issues but space gain is significant and the absence of noise is also a plus.