Moving to UK - which bank, fees for transferring from Ireland etc

E

ek78

Hi, I'm moving to the UK next month and have a few queries re setting up an account over there. Am I correct in saying that there are no fees for withdrawing from another banks ATM over there (like in Ireland)? What other fees should I look out for, and for personal banking are all the main banks over there pretty similar in this respect?

Also, I would look to transfer a good chunk of my savings from my AIB current account and deposit account to my new UK account. I understand this costs €15 per transaction. Is there any way to limit this cost? I will be receiving monthly payments into my UK account from Ireland as well. Is there a way of not having to pay €15 each time you transfer from Ireland to the UK?

Thanks a lot

I would recommend you look at First Direct (owned by HSBC). I think they even give you £100 to open an account and you can phone them 24 hours a days.

I've used them for about 20 years now and can't fault them.

I am going the other direction soon and plan to keep my Nationwide Building Society current account open for receiving payments from Ireland,they do not charge for receiving payements (most other do) and you get the interbank exchange rate.(rate between commercial and tourist rate)
Not all banks over their charge €15 for sending electronic payements look away from the old dinosaur banks!
NBS do not charge you for using your ATM card through out Europe (no withdrawl fees and the above exchange rate)I think it's the only card in UK that dose this,their CC is equally good for using in Europe (no fees for using and the above exchange)
Most cards the banks issue across here,can be used fee free at any bank(in UK),i don't think any banks charge for SO,DD ect.
there is and number of banks paying welcome fees at the moment.
If you plan using your card in Ireland alot NBS is the way to go.
Am I aloud to post website for ek78 to look at ?
I have no connection with NBS apart from Mortgage,Current Account,CC.
First Direct is my main current account and has been for the last 15 years and never had any problems their telephone banking is very good although i havn't used it for a while,but i would never use this card abroad.

transfer fee is immaterial on larger transfers, exchange rate is what counts. Currency.ie open uk bank accounts, dont charge transfer fees and probably have better rates but you should always ring your bank to compare anyway exchange rates but you 7houll

I agree ccraig it's the exchange that counts,but you may find the interbank rate is normally used for very large transactions.

interbank is generally not attainable but that doesnt stop you shopping around to get best rate/a rate closest to it

Back