Moving to the country- single house or estate

cmalone

Friend at work asking for advice- her semi-retired inlaws are living in apartment in Citywest and ongoing anti social type issues- fortunately, they don't own.

They have a budget of 125-150k

Looking at options- buy a house in Meath/ Kildare/ Louth/ Offaly (Edenderry).

One is in wheelchair- one working.

Any advice- to buy in an estate in Navan, Enfield, Kells/ Edenderry or buy an older bungalow type house in rural area - 2km or similar from town?

Well the Swiss idea would be to rent rather than buying - the thinking being that in early retirement people are more active and are able to look after a garden, travel a bit for services and so on. Where as later it is not so easy and quick access to medical services etc is desirable, if you are renting the it is easier to move closer. If you own a property it many not be so easy to move when you need to.

Enfield has an established estate called Innfield with bungalows, quite spacious while Glenn Abhainn is a larger mixed estate surrounded by more traditional housing. It's a quiet place now that traffic is bypassed. Avoid Newcastle Woods as this area has pyrite which should come up on a survey anyway. There are a few hotels around at Johnstown bridge and the old Marriott nearer Enfield. Hope that helps.

while I don't know Enfield that well, it does have the benefit of the train station in the town itself which, when your friends get the free travel pass should prove useful.

If it were me, taking their ages into consideration:

If they are new to an area, they should aim to have neighbours close by - for support and friendship.

If one person is wheelchair bound, being close to town is handy. Within walking/wheeling distance of a shop/church etc would be a huge bonus.
At some point they will both be elderly and being in a rural place in the country with few neighbours won't help.

So I would go estate close to a town centre. Places like Naas have plenty of estates closes to town.

Oh certainly. I remember standing with my banner when my neighbours house had pyrite damage, having said that there are some lovely traditional comfortable houses around the area especially if they like things quiet and simple, the local post office close is friendly and Centra has a very kind and obliging manager. St. Patrick's day Parade is a an enjoyable day for all, Enfield is an acquired taste, if I can help with introductions please let me know. Kind regards and very best wishes.

Does anyone remember a tv programme about Summerhill and the opportunity for the older crew amongst us having a great time and being looked after at a community centre there, it's not that far from Enfield a few miles up the road toward Trim, maybe worth having a look, support is a huge thing at any age and it is a well established set up . Very best wishes

Last edited:
Back