Moving to Limerick with child

Klesser

Hi I am considering moving to limerick with my daughter who will be 4.5yr old then in september so I can do a 4yr midwife degree. Basicly just looking for any info on Limerick regarding schools, area to live in or anything else usefull. I dont know anyone who lives there and have never lived outside of kilkenny city.

Thanks

If you are doing a degree in UL, then there is some lovely areas out that side of the city. Annacotty, Castleconnell, Murroe are all within 10 minutes of UL and have nice local schools and are generally nice areas.

Hi,
Rollercoaster.ie have a number of 'local area' forums, which I believe are quite helpful for any questions you may have about locality, schools, childcare and the other joys of being a parent!
Good luck with your move.
M

Is your daughter going to primary school in Sept? Do you have car? Do you know if your course will require you to spend a lot of time on campus or can you do a lot of studying at home?

In general the areas closest to UL, while convient, would have a lot of partying going on which might not suit someone with a young child. I would be talking here about Elm Park, College Court, any of the on campus accomodation, plassey village. Monaleen and Annacotty would be the closest non-student areas. As Peadar said there are plenty of areas if you are willing to travel 15-20 minutes that are suitable.

If your daughter is going to primary school in Sept. Milford National School is right beside UL so that might be handy for you if you are studying there. I would give them a ring beforehand though as schools in the area are in heavy demand.

Hi,
Rollercoaster.ie have a number of 'local area' forums, which I believe are quite helpful for any questions you may have about locality, schools, childcare and the other joys of being a parent!
Good luck with your move.
M

Thanks I have posted there also.

Aesop, No i dont drive but hoping to do my theory test after christmas then learning so should be driving by sept. If not is the public transport good in limerick?
Im not too sure of the coarse timetable yet. The midwife degree can also be done in dublin, galway, cork and dundalk but limerick is nearer to kilkenny so would prefer to go there.
My little girl will be 4 in april so she could start school in 2009 if nesseccery. The school you mentioned would be perfect im going to ring them in the morning.
Annacotty is looking like a good area.
Im very nervous of moving away from my family and friends but I know it would be worthwhile.

Aesop, No i dont drive but hoping to do my theory test after christmas then learning so should be driving by sept. If not is the public transport good in limerick?

It depends, if you are going in and out from Castletroy to the city center it's not bad. There is also a private bus service so at least there is more than one option. Things become a little more awkward though it you move outside of castletroy. I am open to correction but bus services from places like Murroe and Castleconnell wouldn't be great. A car would make life much easier for you.

My little girl will be 4 in april so she could start school in 2009 if nesseccery. The school you mentioned would be perfect im going to ring them in the morning.
Annacotty is looking like a good area.
Im very nervous of moving away from my family and friends but I know it would be worthwhile.

Bare in mind Annacotty is 2/3 miles from UL so look for a part of Annacotty that has access to a bus service. My advice would be to come down to the area before Sept (ideally before the CAO offers go out as that is when accomodation starts to get snapped up) and have a look around. If you are happy with where you are living and it's convient to both your daughters primary school and the university then at least you have those worries out of the way. Change is never easy but you won't be too far from home and I'm sure you will settle in quickly.

BTW Boards.ie has a Limerick city thread which you might find useful if you are looking for more answers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=476

Monaleen is walking distance from UL and would also be a good choice.

Castletroy is walking distance but some parts can be a bit studenty.

Back