Moving to Kilkenny City

MacCruiskeen

We are a family of four planning to move from the UK to Kilkenny City in summer this year. So far, we have had a couple of 'reccie' visits and put our 8 year old daughter's name down for a number of schools and have extensively trawled daft.ie and myhome to get an idea of rental and sale prices.

We are looking to rent for 6-12 months and then buy. Anybody got experience of 4 bed houses reasonably close to the centre? We are considering the likes of Richview, Talbots Gate and Ayrfield to the North and College Square, Mayfield/The Paddocks, Rosehill and St Patrick's Gate to the south. Are these all OK? Any 'hidden gems' we are missing?

Finding our daughter a place in school is proving the biggest challange. Are all the primary schools well thought of? St Canices is mentioned a lot but we have also heard good things about Presentation. Anyone have experience of these or of The Project Primary School, or other Kilkenny primaries? Thank you.

Canices would be good if you are on that side of the town.Quite a musical school.
If on the other side perhaps St John of Gods,boys in one and girls in the other.
Talbots inch would be my first choice to live in,the houses are stunning,all different and some over a hundred years old again that would be the right area for Canices.
If on the other side,you could try Maidenhill,which is a very nice estate,all individual houses and all very nice and just up the lane from the John of God schools.
Rental properties are ten a penny ,and most of the estates are within walking distance to the city /schools.
You could always rent out in the country side? Much cheaper,much bigger house,no traffic,much more land etc..just to see if you like it..I would stay away from most of the very new vast estates which tend to be around the Newpark area.
You should love it there,its a fabulous city,very welcoming and very convenient..Lots of shops/pubs/clubs/entertainment..cinema/bowling alley/take aways/restaurants.best of luck with your move.

Hi
Best of luck with the move. I am renting a 4 bed in Parcnagowan in Kilkenny. Houses are lovely and not old. Springfelds and Clongowan might also be worth looking at in Waterford road area. Dukes Meadows is near the castle. These would be convenient for St John of God and Kilkenny Project school. The Sycamores area might be an option for St Canices.
I have one daughter in school and I would advise sorting the school first if possible. Traffic is a pain at school times so you should look to rent near the school. Also look at where swimming pool, cinema, supermarkets etc are. Being near the ring road is handy also.
Any other queries, just ask. Great city - hope you enjoy it.