Moving to Dundalk

D

Dora

Myself and my husband are thinking of moving to Dundalk from Dublin (well outside Dundalk,Louth Village to be exact). We have visited the area a few times and it seems ok. Is anybody familiar with the area - all comments welcome

dora, louth village is nice peaceful area at the outskirts of dundalk.area's like so are filling up well and concerning the post above.......BS!

Louth village is nice and peaceful if a bit remote... i.e its a round 8 miles from Dundalk town. Dundalk town is great , we just moved there 4 weeks ago.. great facilities, lovely people.

Thanks for the replies folks.
Molly did you move from Dublin? I am from Dublin and I'm starting to get cold feet, I am worried that I will really miss Dublin and that if I don't settle in I will find it difficult to sell my property there (unsure about demand vs supply in Louth, there seems to be an abundance of land). We are getting a house built on our own site.

Dora,

Dundalk is a changed place from a few years ago. More and more people starting to move there from Dublin and other places. As for an abundance of land this is not the case as sites cost a fortune and planning is impossible to get unless you are local. Louth village is grand and will only get better. Houses sell easily in the county so you won't be stuck with it

hi Dora,

you definitely won't miss dublin! at weekends/evenings there lovely beaches etc, carlingford is very near - that's a lovely spot.. it's only an hours drive to dublin (quiet traffic) and the train service is quite good - if anything, you'll find yourself less and less inclined to enter the city! And belfast offers a change of scene for shopping!

best of luck!

:)

an aunt of mine owns "Mc Cooeys" pub in louth village. best pints in the land. Not very modern on the decor but the pints are well worth it. Sarks on the corner an be livley. very good nightlife in dundalk and newry.

Dont worry. I myself made the move from dublin to louth 3 years ago and I love it. With the M1 you're not too far from dublin anyway. Building your own house..... same as that. Once your in it you will forget about dublin. As far as services are concerned you have nothing to be concerned with. Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry.

Up to about 10 years ago Dundalk was a very clannish and inward looking place. All outsiders were called Blow-ins.You were always a Blow-in if your grandmaother was not buried in Castletown graveyard.

Mercifully that is all gone now with the influx of migrants and the booming economy. There were no swimming pools for example - now there are at least four (public and private). Driving is a dream now with the Bypass being bypassed by the motorway.
The days when the best views of Dundalk were in your rearview mirror are history.

Go for it and enjoy!

Back