Moving to Dublin

G

George83

Hi all
I'm hoping to move to Dublin (from UK) early next year and am after some advice on what areas are considered good.

I'd ideally like to be city centre as I don't drive and would like to be within walking distance of amenities etc.

I'm self employed and work from home so that wouldn't need to impact on my location choice.

Thanks in advance
George.

Good for you may be different for others depending on what you're into.

Also Dublin can be a little odd with "enclaves" of really nice houses in areas that wouldn't be classed as "good".

Donnybrook might suit you or Rathgar or Sandymount. Sandymount is handy as it has the DART whereas with the others it's the Bus or a walk into town.

Ranelagh has some really nice parts but it also has a student vibe in parts but it's very handy for the city centre (or "town" as we call it) has some nice places to eat and drink and you also have the Luas light rail system.

I like Stoneybatter on the Northside, was partially gentrified over the past decade very handy for town and some nice refurbished houses.

Further afield - Howth, Malahide are nice but too far from town for you on the Northside, Clontarf and Glasnevin are nearer to town but nice areas too.

Southside, Terenure has some nice houses, Bushy Park and good restaurants in the village. Blackrock, Monkstown and Dalkey are very nice too with good villages and the DART for easy access to town though Dalkey is probably a bit far out for you.

Good summary by Derek.
Realistically everything comes with a price.
Post what you expect to spend and what size house you need and suggestions will be more pointed.

Thank you both for your replies.

Derek I'll look into those areas ... you're right Howth & Malahide are too far out for me really.

Runner, I'd be happy with a 1 or 2 bed apartment really or a small house. I live alone so don't need all that much space. Having a garden doesn't bother me either. I would like an older property though rather than a new build.

I'm looking to rent to begin with and about 850 Euro a month would be my maximum limit.

I've been having a trawl through some of the property sites and have seen a few apartments in town (Mountjoy Square area) that look good value for money, but is that a reasonable area?

Hi George

Check out daft.ie for that price range.
But I VERY much doubt you will get an apartment in a "nice" area in that price range.

There are alot of "bohemian" areas near town that are lovely to live in.

I personally like Inchicore and Kilmainham (Dublin 8)

There is a huge amount of green space in this area (memorial park, Phoenix park and Royal Hospital Park) if that floats your boat.

It's near town and major roads out of the city, Heuston station, Luas etc.
Nice little funky restuarants and pubs.

I'm thinking in your price range a house or apartment share might give you more choices.

Good luck

Hi George, you could do worse than a 1 bedroom apartment in Charlotte Quay, Ringsend for that money. You are a twenty/twenty five minute walk into O'Connell Street, you are close to the Grand Canal Dock Theatre and The O2 concert venue. You're beside the sea and the Grand Canal. You are close to Dublin Port. Buses are very frequent and you are close to Grand Canal Dock train station as well, as well as a modest walk to Busaras and Connolly Train station. I lived there for a few years and thought it was a great location. My only problem was noise levels in and around my rented apartment.

Thank you for your help :)

I'll have a look at the areas you mention.

Mommah when I said 'nice area' I really only meant somewhere relatively safe (as safe as city living can be anyway).

I wouldn't put Mountjoy Square down as a safe area.
Smithfield square seems to have some nice apartments and I lived nearby and felt it was safe enough but some low-level annoying anti-social elements to contend with. As well as just being annoyed by the sight of people going to the shops in their pajamas!

Back