moving to Athlone

T

tweenas

Hi
We are seriously considering moving to Athlone due to work but, can anyone give us advice on what sort of town it is ?
i have heard it was a bit rough and there was a drug problem.
Would anybody know if this is correct ?

I lived there for a year about six/seven years ago. I didn't find it any rougher than any other major provincial town in Ireland, to be honest. Sure, there are drugs in the town, but it doesn't have a massive drug problem or a big petty crime problem or anything like that. Don't listen to the rumours, it's not a bad town at all. It's what you would expect for a town of its size.

Of course, it all depends on where in the town you live. There are a few hairy estates up by the college on the Dublin Road. Stay out of Willow Park, for example, which is full of drunken students and boy racers. It's not a pretty estate, that's for sure.

My favourite part of the town was actually just over the bridge on the Roscommon side, in the 'Left bank' area of the town (as the locals like to aspirationally call it). This is the area around Sean's Bar and down by the riverside. There are some lovely little houses and cottages down there, and some nice cafes, restaurants etc.

Older areas of the town, like Coosan, can be hit and miss. The estates out there are older. It would be a bit like moving to parts of Crumlin/Kimmage in Dublin: settled, but not exactly white collar.

If you want the country feel, and don't mind a 15-minute drive, try a village just outside the town like Glasson - it is absolutely gorgeous.

There is loads of shopping in the town (Golden Island etc), with more slated (a brand new town centre development). There are plenty of pubs, although only a few nightclubs, and some decent restaurants.

I think it's a nice spot, only about 90 mins from Dublin, and it doesn't really deserve it's dodgy rep.

Thanks for the info, we spent the weekend in Athlone and had a great time. We had lunch in the left bank (it was very lovely) & got a tour of the soon to be open shopping centre, lloks good. We went out to the small villages like Glasson and had lunch in Grogans it was excellent.
Athlone is really up and coming

I am another Athlone native from the Coosan area and would highly recommend my home town as a place to move to but like everywhere there are good and bad areas. Personally Coosan, Cornamaddy, Ballykeeran & Glasson are top of the list but some areas like near the college that would not be so desirable. Roscommon side is ok - River Village is a huge estate with some nice houses but entrance ruins it all. Barleyfields and Waterville are fab detached houses are v reasonable compared to Coosan, Ballykeeran & Glasson. Depends what you're looking for but worth paying a bit extra for a nice area.

Nightlife is great -loads of bars (Sean's, Palace and Gerties are best), great restaurants (Le Chateau, Wineport, Hatters, Olive Grove), new shopping centre opening on Thursday, and a good Sports Centre, Cinema, Theatre etc.. All you can ask for!

As with any big town there are problems so dont believe all the rumours..

Back