Moving to Arklow

kane3000

Hi Folks

Was wondering what a commute from Arklow to Sandyford Ind. Est. is like ?

Am thinking of moving the family from Naas to just outside Arklow...reasons are that we want a nice country house without paying exhorbitant amount.

I am sick of traffic lights and bad driving manners. Is the N11/M11 mostly freeflowing ? I don't mind being in the car once it is moving.

Thanks in Advance
Kane

Hit the Leopardstown entrance to Sandyford at Newtown park Ave for 8 / 8.30 to be in ok. Id say an hour to this point easily enough especially from the Dublin side of Arklow, It is 90% dualler or M way from here, best commuter channel into the city from any sattelite area.. N4 etc nightmares!
Remeber though its "Arklah" when you get there!

It is a great road since they bypassed Rathnew and Ashford. The only bad stretch is between Lil Doyles pub and the Beehive pub which is only a few miles. There is a load of new fencing erected in the fields west of the N11 between these two pubs which looks like they intend to make road improvements along that stretch of road but I don't see any reference to it in here.That said the map only seems to deal with 2006 projects so maybe there are plans for 2007 for that stretch of the N11.

Remember hearing on radio a while back "nothing goes faster than a wexford Car or Van on the N11 on a friday evening"

demoivre said:
There is a load of new fencing erected in the fields west of the N11 between these two pubs which looks like they intend to make road improvements along that stretch of road but I don't see any reference to it in [broken link removed].That said the map only seems to deal with 2006 projects so maybe there are plans for 2007 for that stretch of the N11.
In the past week they've also knocked down two houses (one of them a huge eyesore), which were the subject of Compulsory Purchase Orders for the new road, and they seem to have set up site offices as well, so it looks like they're getting started.

How long it will take, no-one knows. The company who carried out the Ashford / Rathnew bypass were ahead of schedule, but the one that did the stretch through the Glen of the Downs were way behind.

It's a dangerous road - here's an article from the Indo (you may need to register) stating that the stretch from Rathnew to Scratnagh Cross is the most dangerous in Wicklow.

The traffic flows quite well, unless there's a tractor / JCB / very heavy traffic on the road between Lil Doyle's and where the road widens before the Beehive.

Moving to the Woodlands Estate in Arklow in the next couple of weeks. Would love to hear an opinions (good or bad) about the town and surrounding area.

Marjen

I have lived in Woodlands for the last 2.5 years.
The town is greand plenty there and a new shopping center on the way the dublin side of the bridge.

Town is good craic, can be a bit clanish though. Mind you there are plenty of Dubs and non Arklow down there now.

Touch wood I have had no problems so far.

On commute I drive to tallaght everyday. takes me about an hour barring a crash or something mad.

Sandyford seems to be busy after 8:30 should be under an hour, has to be easier than coming from Nass.

Frank,

Thanks for the info. How about the Woodlands Estate itself? Is it mostly young families?

What pubs would you recommend? We're moving from Blackrock so we know very little about the area.

Seems to be a mix of generations. There always seems to be people around so maybe a few retired as well as a lot of young couples / young families. Quiet enough to let kids out without worrying about loads of traffic.

Closest pub to walk down to is the corner house, beside the roundabout at the top of the town. All the pubs are good craic. Christies down the bottom of the town is good for sport in the bar. The lounge is kicking then weekends. Too many to mention to be honest. A quick wander around the town is your best bet.

Frank said:
Seems to be a mix of generations. There always seems to be people around so maybe a few retired as well as a lot of young couples / young families. Quiet enough to let kids out without worrying about loads of traffic.

Closest pub to walk down to is the corner house, beside the roundabout at the top of the town. All the pubs are good craic. Christies down the bottom of the town is good for sport in the bar. The lounge is kicking then weekends. Too many to mention to be honest. A quick wander around the town is your best bet.

Hi Frank

We are moving into the Woodlands Estate as well. We liked the place the way the houses are built however just recently I spoke with someone from Arklow and he mentioned that it's a bit rough in that area mainly because of some council estates in and around the Woodlands Estate. Can you help in clarifying this?

Hi

We moved into Woodlands about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard any bad reports on the area. It's seems pretty quiet even on weekends. We've had great reports from our neighbours who are originally from Dublin. They've been there for over 3 years and have no intentions of moving. Hope this helps a little. Like I said we've only been there for 2 weeks so we'll have to wait and see :)

Well I think you bought here in the nick of time cause when n11 is finished and shopping centre development is complete prices will rise,IMO. Great schools,Tesco, beach and countryside/Avoca etc. Things are on the up. Though I think Woodlands is ok,close to main st, creche, shops etc seems abit crapt and i personnaly dont like the look of the 3 bed semi...there are better parts (I think Knockmore is nice and Cluan Ard on otherside of town), but as a result u pay more. There seems to be alot of 'boy-racers' zooming up and down main st. Very annoying.

We are thinking the Meadowvale development but are overseas at the moment so can't get a handle on the exact location. Is it walkable to the town? Any opinions on it so far?

IMO, Meadowvale is gona be lovely when finished. Theres a bungalow type house which id personnaly prefare. Walk into main street in 10mins, Tesco's 5mins walk, garage with excellent shop 5mins walk away. I think this would be a good choice of location in town.

I thought Meadowvale were sold out. They are built by same builders as Woodlands, so the finish of houses and the estate will be good. But it will be just as big as Woodlands. There is a new school being built across the road. No new estates can be built until the sewage problem in the town can be sorted out, so there is a big shortage of houses.

marjen said:
Hi

We moved into Woodlands about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard any bad reports on the area. It's seems pretty quiet even on weekends. We've had great reports from our neighbours who are originally from Dublin. They've been there for over 3 years and have no intentions of moving. Hope this helps a little. Like I said we've only been there for 2 weeks so we'll have to wait and see :)

I also went around and had a chat with some home owners in the area including the store person in the shop near the creche. She mentioned that there used to be a tenant in one of the houses which was a major undesirable but was booted out by the home owners so it was quiet and peaceful from then on.

SarahMc said:
I thought Meadowvale were sold out. They are built by same builders as Woodlands, so the finish of houses and the estate will be good. But it will be just as big as Woodlands. There is a new school being built across the road. No new estates can be built until the sewage problem in the town can be sorted out, so there is a big shortage of houses.

Hi

Can you tell me more about that sewage problem in Arklow?

The town still has no sewage treatment plant. Raw sewage pours into the Avoca river. New developments are building their own plants. This has been ongoing in the Courts for years. I think the Objector has won right to appeal.

Any news on the stretch of road from beehive pub to brittas bay area?
As mentioned elsewhere, there seems to be activity on the sides, but anything concrete?
Can't see anything in the roads authority web site.

Back