Moving Storage Heaters..?

R

Redhead

Hi folks

We've just seen our new apartment (first viewing was when the completion notice was issued) and we've noticed that one of the storage heaters has been put in a bit of a dodgy position in the sitting room, which leaves us with no wall unit space as the heater has been placed smack bang in the middle of the main blank wall at the TV end of the rectangular s/room, rather than on either of the side walls (where the windows are) which we wouldn't be facing if we were watching tv.

We now can't put up any shelving or bookcases, never mind a unit for the tv because we can't put anything against the "good" wall where the TV points are due to the storage heater. I asked whether they could move it to one of the walls on either side but was told not a chance "at this stage", i.e. too late - if we had known about it earlier then we could maybe have asked the builders to put the heater elsewhere, but we only just saw the place.

Anyway, it now looks like we're going to have to try to get the storage heater moved to the side wall ourselves (only about 4 feet away) and so are wondering whether it is a big job or whether an electrician could do it easily enough and what the cost of something like that would be?

Any help greatly appreciated...

Preumably this is a combi heater, i.e. there will be two flexes from the wall switches.
If it's only about 4 feet you might be able to get longer flexes fitted to the heater.
Moving the wall switch(es) would cause a lot of damage unless it was done on the surface in mini trunking which looks horrible.
The heater is extremely heavy and also top heavy, which is why it is fixed to the wall. Do not attempt to move it yourself.

Redhead

The storage heater is full of bricks and is very difficult to move.

From a wiring point of view you could disconnect the wiring, and extend it to the new location by droppint it behind the original point on the wall to the floor and then hide it behind the skirting board to the new location
If you take to skirting board off, you can place the wire behind it and conceal it. You then take it back up wall to the new location.

The storage heater would need a couple of people to move it or else you can take the cover off and remove the bricks, move the heater to the new location and reload the bricks back into it.

Paul24

Thanks guys for the advice, much appreciated...at least I know it might be possible now. I'll get the electrician (friend) to have a look and see if he can do anything. Can't believe they put it there in the first place - makes no sense, to me at least..

RH

Hi guys,

I'm very interested in the above postings. I'm putting down new wooden floors in an appartment, but want to put them under the skirting. There are two storage heaters in the room which I first have to remove to get the skirting off. Does the storage heater just disconnect easily from the wall? Also, is it essential to get an electrician?

Thanks
Storage

Back