moving/removing silver birch tree

joanmul

Does anyone know if a silver birch tree that is about 25 years old can be transplanted? Our garden is too small for it now because there are a couple of other feature trees that I would prefer to be the focus in the garden. However, if I could give the silver birch away to someone who would transplant it I would. Can it be done?

Does anyone know if a silver birch tree that is about 25 years old can be transplanted?

25 years old would be quite big for a birch - 10 metres+? I would find it unlikely that anyone will want to transplant a birch of this size, they are relatively common and fast growing as you probably have found! Perhaps think about selective thinning?

Perhaps if you contacted a tree nursery/ garden centre (that would sell mature trees),or bodies like Coillte or www.crann.ie, or even the Botanic Gardens or one of the larger colleges that would have a botanic/forestry/etc department you might be able to get some advice on your options. I know that in the States they are using a weird looking sort of a digger which was build just to remove/ transplant large trees, perhaps there's something similar in Ireland. If you live in Dublin or in a large urban area, perhaps the Council might be able to collect the tree and transplant it in one of their parks (in St Anne's, for instance, there's a millennium park), but this might be a long shot. It would indeed be a pity to chop down a healthy tree. Good luck!

i would imagine it would cost someone too much to remove this tree and transplant it, as one poster said there would not be much of a market for this tree. And you have the problem of filling in your own garden. But you could give Brian from a company called treeinone and he will tell you once and for all . His number is 0873075732

Cut it down to 2 feet above ground. It will sprout again at that height, effectivly you have 'got rid of it' and 'replanted' another. They can become very difficult to control, with roots sending up shoots 20 metres away. Otherwise cut to 2 feet above ground and apply stump killer. Then make a seat out of the stump.