Moving position of toilet in bathroom

Wisecom

Anyone ever get the toilet moved in their bathroom? Want to move it to a different wall in the bathroom but have heard that moving the toliet is not that easy?

The first thing is that the pipes for waste outlet to the sewer and water inlet to the cistern have to move and you may need to have floor dug out (concrete) or cut in a few places (wood). If the new position of the toilet is close to the down pipe that attaches to the sewerage system, you may be able to attach to the down-pipe externally, but you will still need to have some of the floor dug out.

Have you considered one of the Saniflo small bore electric toilets? They are more expensive, but could save a lot of hacking.

could you give me more details, like is room on ground floor or 1st floor. what type of floor, concrete or suspended on joists? which way the joists run, and could you run a pipe around the base of wall and box in? is the tiolet going on an exterior wall or internal wall? the more detail the better!

Hi Davyjones. It is an upstairs bathroom. The floor is suspended on joists. Yes there is room to run a box along base of wall for a pipe. I have no idea what way the joists run until we pull up the flooring. The toilet needs to be moved from an exterior wall to an interior wall.

Just did the same job on an upstairs bathroom. Position of joist prevented moving pipe below floor so brought new pipe (using elbow joint) from old into back of toilet in new position then boxed and tiled around. I didn't move it too far, more of a turn and small shift really. Overall it was not a big job, I would certainly recommend giving it a try. At the least take up a floor board and look at the position of your joists.

I have no idea what way the joists run until we pull up the flooring.

The same direction as the nails that you should be able to see by lifting carpet/lino in any room upstairs OR check direction of the nail on the downstairs ceiling.

whichever way the floor boards are running, then the joists run the other way, providing there are boards. if they are sheets then what bacchus says is the way to go. any competent plumber should make an easy job of it either way.

Back