moving out of cork city..where to start looking?

B

bakermum3

hi all, hubby and myself + 3 kids seriously thinking of moving out of the city and leaving the rat race behind. living in douglas at the moment. fed up of traffic, fancy a quieter life. need to stay within commuting distance as family and work are in the city. also schools nearby very important (primary and secondary). dont want to be completly cut off from civilisation so would like village or town nearby.
prob is we just dont know where to start. we ve only ever lived in the suburbs. help!! dont want to make wrong decision as will be changing childrens schools.
would appreciate any advice, thank a mill!!

=

I'll be following this thread as we are in the same boat (also living in Douglas). I like it here, but we want to buy something with a bit more space/more rural. We won't be buying just yet though as I think prices have a way to fall yet. Have you got any areas in mind?

we are looking at ares near midleton direction but heading towards cloyne, rostellan areas. we want schools to be near enough but want to be away the hustle and bustle of midleton. we would be looking to sell our house in douglas so we're not too sure whether to wait a while to sell or make the move now.
as 2 of our kids will be starting seconary school in sept its kinda now or never for us ..we dont want to pull them out of schools a year or 2 in. dont think it would be fair.
so any info on these areas would really be appreciated also anyone who has taken the leap.......was it worth it????tnx

Just my tuppence worth.. we moved out of suburbia to (what was then an underdeveloped) Glanmire and lived there for 6 years before deciding it was a mistake. We spent all day in the car driving the kids everywhere (no regular bus service), work was a journey away, shops were a journey away. So while the idea of leaving the suburbs is very inviting remember if you live in a rural area you will have to use the car for everything, even having kid's friends over or taking them to visit friend's means sitting in the car. We moved back to suburbia and haven't regretted it. Sorry if I sound negative but just a warning to think carefully about the longterm situation

we are looking at ares near midleton direction but heading towards cloyne, rostellan areas. we want schools to be near enough but want to be away the hustle and bustle of midleton. we would be looking to sell our house in douglas so we're not too sure whether to wait a while to sell or make the move now.
as 2 of our kids will be starting seconary school in sept its kinda now or never for us ..we dont want to pull them out of schools a year or 2 in. dont think it would be fair.
so any info on these areas would really be appreciated also anyone who has taken the leap.......was it worth it????tnx
Cloyne would have a lot better amenities than Rostellan, ie. shops, food, pubs, takeout etc., but would probably give still give the quietness you're after. I'd say there's very good value to be had if you're buying a house there at the moment.
There's a new very nice, modern new school literally just built there as well .

thanks for your comments. cloyne does seem to have better facilities, i just love the look of rostellen its a beautiful little village. no suitable houses near the water though, pity.
i think the one thing that is really worrying me is that i will feel isolated and be constantly driving the kids everywhere
as one of you mentioned.
i think we have alot of thinking to do!!!!!!!!
thanks again.

Reality is that unless you move to any of the big towns, (Midleton, Youghal, Cobh, or possibly Carrigtwohill if you only have girls) in East Cork then you are going to have to do a far amount of driving to get kids to and from secondary school. There are bus services from the outlying villages to the main towns for these schools, but it does mean a long enough day for the kids

The likelihood is that you will also be doing a fair amount of driving for shopping etc as well.

Country living is what you make of it, it can be very lonely and isolated, unless you are going to get out and get to know the community, and especially if the mother is at home

Personally (and I am a Cork exile), if I were moving back there, then Aghada/Rostellan is lovely, some bus links, and a reasonable drive to Midleton. Cloyne has never appealed to me. Other options may be Killeagh or Castlemartyr

Hi, Bakermum. I know the Douglas area well and know all about the traffic there. But have you thought about staying in Town and moving to somewhere like Blackrock/Beaumont/Ballinlough/Boreenmanna Road?

You'd still have access to all the schools, shopping etc., and your traffic problems would be greatly reduced. A lot of houses for sale on Boreenmanna Road, at the moment.............

Back