Moving mortgage interest relief to a new account

laobhise

Hey,

My husband and I decided to open a joint a/c. We have been transferring all our payments over to our new account and most have moved successfully. However, while our mortgage payment is now coming out of our joint a/c- the mortgage interest relief is still getting paid into my husbands account.

I contacted revenue who advised me that they paid the money directly to the bank and that they diverted it to the appropriate account and therefore that I needed to contact the bank directly. So I contacted the bank whom told me that it was revenue that I needed to contact- I explained what revenue said and they put me through to my local branch. The lady there told me to send her in a letter requesting to move the interest relief to the new account. So I did this last week and now bank have just got back to me to tell me that I need to contact revenue!!!!!!

So frustrated- can anyone please advise on who I should be contacting as currently just being passed from one to the other???

I presume you are referrring to the TRS (tax relief at source). And that is what is - at source! Its generally taken out with the mortgage so shouldn't land in any other account. So the bank is yer man here.

I had the same issue a while back, could not beleive the amount of phone calls I had to make! but in the end it was the bank who backed down and sorted it. Its up to them to do it, its not an issue for Revenue.