Moving mortgage interest relief to a new account

laobhise

Hey,

My husband and I decided to open a joint a/c. We have been transferring all our payments over to our new account and most have moved successfully. However, while our mortgage payment is now coming out of our joint a/c- the mortgage interest relief is still getting paid into my husbands account.

I contacted revenue who advised me that they paid the money directly to the bank and that they diverted it to the appropriate account and therefore that I needed to contact the bank directly. So I contacted the bank whom told me that it was revenue that I needed to contact- I explained what revenue said and they put me through to my local branch. The lady there told me to send her in a letter requesting to move the interest relief to the new account. So I did this last week and now bank have just got back to me to tell me that I need to contact revenue!!!!!!

So frustrated- can anyone please advise on who I should be contacting as currently just being passed from one to the other???

I presume you are referrring to the TRS (tax relief at source). And that is what is - at source! Its generally taken out with the mortgage so shouldn't land in any other account. So the bank is yer man here.

I had the same issue a while back, could not beleive the amount of phone calls I had to make! but in the end it was the bank who backed down and sorted it. Its up to them to do it, its not an issue for Revenue.

Back