Moving manhole at rear of house

rev87

Is it possible to move/build over a manhole located at the rear of a house?

Of course it's possible to move a manhole (and the services attached to it). I doubt that it's a good idea to just build over it though. You might want to post some more details for people to offer useful comment.

Moving a manhole is pretty simple ........ just make sure you get the fall right. Building over? Yes, it's possible. You can incorporate the cover (double sealed and screwed) into the flooring and cover the special lid to suit. This is best done by someone with experience.

My parents were considering an extension to the rear of the house, but there is a manhole a few feet away from the door. We didn't know if they could be moved or built over, the builder said they could encase them in concrete but that sounded a bit strange! Just want to get other peoples opinions, i'm sure there is plenty who were in the same predicament.

Thats sounds like poor advice from a wreckless builder, which would certaily undermine any possible confidence in his ability to do work properly. It is as others have said relatively easy to move the services, and in some cases illegal to deliberately block access to the manhole which could pose threat to public health ie neighbours.

I suggest you engage an alternative builder.

Back