moving/joint account ??

O

olde moore

the wife and i have been married for a lonnnnnng time, and have always had seperate current accounts.

my salary is paid into my account, and hers into her account.

the up-shot is that we pay AIB two seperate lots of quarterly a/c maintenance fees, etc.

as AIB are now charging fees and transaction charges, whether in credit or not, we have decided to get off our asses and do something about the situation.

occassionaly, my account would dip into the red, while hers is in the black, and visa versa.

i pay the mortgage, car-loan, etc. from my account, and she usually pays for groceries and day-to-day spending.

would we be well advised to change banks, and open a joint account in both our names, or could we stay with AIB and convert to a joint account, thereby halving account maintenance charges, etc.

as we would most likely stay in credit all the time, with both salaries hitting the bank at different times, is there any advantage in moving to a bank which gives "free" banking, or is it worth the hassle, with DD's etc having to be moved.

any and all advice welcome!!!

> the up-shot is that we pay AIB two seperate lots of quarterly a/c maintenance fees, etc.

Regardless of the joint account question there is no reason for most people to pay any current account maintenance or transaction charges:

[broken link removed]

> any and all advice welcome!!!

On the general issue of managing the money/cashflow you should look at these links:

Back