Moving into rented place are we entitiled to ask for new mattresses?

NewLifeBegin

Hi i'd really like to know this..... We are moving into rented accommodation (currently living in newly built rented) and I'm wondering because there was previous tenants living there for two years would we be entitled to ask for new mattress's??

Hope someone knows. Look forward to hearing from someone soon....

Re: Moving into rented place are we entitiled to ask for new mattress's?

What do you mean "entitled"? Of course you can ask.

Are the matresses stained or marked (yuck - hate even asking the question!). If they are - yes you should ask, if not, I reckon you'd be out of luck. LL's can't replaced the contents of a house everytime someone moves out.
I had someone asked me to change the carpet & curtains in the bedroom as the colour didn't suit her bedlinen....needless to say, I didn't!

I personally would buy my own, tell the landlord that you don't need his and then take your own with you when you move again. You can pick up a double mattress in Bargain Town form €70 euros. I don't think the landlord is responsible for giving out a new mattress for every new tenant but as has already been pointed out- there is no harm in asking.

Have you ever stayed in a hotel? If you think about it, there will have been hundreds of people sleeping in your bed before you did. The sheets are changed for every new guest, but not the mattress.

If you check the mattress before you move in to your newly rented accomodation and believe it is obviously unsuitable, then of course you can ask. But if there is no reason other than the "icky" factor of sleeping in a bed used by a previous tenant, I think it would be unfair to request a new mattress, and unlikely you'd get one anyway.

you could ask for the mattress to be steam cleaned as a compromise, but then again how would you know that had happened

Rory, the problem with this is that the LL will have to store the matresses and/or whatever else the tenant wants to replace.

I had someone bought an new matresses and put the original matress out in a garden shed, where it obviously went mouldy. So I insisted she leave the replacement matress.

Fair point Sam, I have often had tenants request some items removed from a rental property as they have some of there own furniture- sofa's etc. It can be a pain but I find that the tenants that try to make a house more of a home for themselves are generally more responsible so I always feel that its worth the hassle to oblige mind you I have room to store these items and transport them but I know that not every landlord would be the same.

If you have transport & storage - it's a great idea & I would facilitate if I had a van & large garage....unfortunately I (& I'd hazzard a guess most people) don't.

As a landlord Im regularly asked to change the mattress'.

As far as I'm concerned - If I whistle and the bed does not move, it must be clean.

As a comprimise I will provide a padded (like a quilt) mattress cover, they can be bought in guineys, and can be washed as and whenever.....

When we moved into our apartment the mattress on the bed was quite used looking - by this I mean there was "bobbles" on it and it looked a bit worn.
So we asked for a new one and the landlord obliged no problem.
Theres no way I would have slept on that and if he had refused I probably just would have bought my own.

I take on the point about hotel rooms etc but I just wouldn't sleep on a mattress that someone else I don't know has been sleeping on for the past 2 years for example. Thats just me though!

i rented a few years ago and i had my own bed so told the loandlord i wouldnt require the one he was providing in the property, he said no problem and took his away, i did need the one in the 2nd bedroom for my son , and i didnt mind using that one as there had been a plastic cover on the actual mattress so it wasnt stained or dirty in any way.
but the more i think back maybe it wasnt that safe to have a plastic cover on the mattress and then cover it with a sheet??

all depends on the landlord really!!

As a landlord I often get this request and I cannot change a mattress everytime there is a change of tenant but if the mattess needed replacing I would do this, I've supplied mattress covers instead. I don't do the whiste test but instead I've done the turn over the matress trick. Never knew you could steam clean a mattress. I've cleaned carpets and furniture for some tenants. Also will allow tenant to bring their own mattress but it stays when they go as the old mattress is impossible to store in a garage - goes mouldy as previous poster said. Anyone buying their own mattress - 70Euro's will not buy you a good mattress. It's also nearly impossible to sleep on a bed with a plastic cover. If you think about it far more people have slept on a hotel bed then a rented accommodation bed, and they don't change the top cover in hotels every time there s a changeover. Now that's yech.

Thanks for all the comments.. It was only when we moved in and had a real look around when we found a hundred & one problems. I did by a mattress cover & a new duvet for over it & we turned the mattress over to find black mould :( It was awful... The landlord wouldnt supply a new mattress so I bought myself a new one... When our new mattress arrived we found it to be a king size bed & not a double & thats when we also discovered that the bed was broke too!! :mad: The slats were fine but the actual frame was broke. We couldnt even sleep in it. We started cleaning out our place & found so many problems, the showers pumps were broke & needed replacing & the washing machine didnt work & that needed replacing & the fridge freezer stinks!! We've tried so much to get it clean but the dirt wont come off & its just awful!...

We've also come to know that our neighbours are nutters!!

So were looking for a new place! Its awful.... I'm raging we moved at all now.. We only moved because the rent was cheaper... Never ever again will I fall into a trap of APARTMENT FROM HELL :eek:

So its on with a search for a new place A.S.A.P

My brother in law has several flats and apartments and he generally changes the mattresses when people move out (if they've been there a couple of years - not 12 months or less). He reckons it's not huge money and it buys goodwill.

Back