Moving house - storage/packing boxes

blaze

Hi,

I have a few questions here. I'm having to move out of my house while I am having some major building work done and am looking to purchase some Cardboard Type packing/storage boxes to put everything into. I see some of the removal companies supply these but as part of the removal service. I'm going to do the packing and moving myself.

Would anyone know here I can buy these boxes in the Dublin, North Wicklow Area

Since I need to move out for about 4 months should I try to cancel my phone with Eircom so I dont have to pay line rental etc. Any other suggestions. Do I have post diverted to a temporary address? Are there any house insurance considerations I need to take into account?

Basically am having the house gutted so need to look for new everything in terms of Bathroom suites, flooring, Tiles etc etc.

Any advice is appreciated in terms of where is good to buy. I keep getting told If I travel out of dublin I'll getting better rates on identical products?

Thanks

You're bound to know people with a few spare boxes. You could even ask in any of your local shops such as an electrical shop that have to take back packaging now. They would only be too glad to pass a few boxes on to you. I gave all my boxes to a friend that was moved a few weeks after me. She was thrilled to get them and I was only too willing to get rid of them. Label all your boxes as you pack them so you know what's in what. Pack things that you're not going to need in the 4 months together in the largest box. Have you somewhere to store everything or are you going to be taking them with you to your temporary accommodation?

You can change your address here for free but if you knew your postman you could always ask him to drop your post in next door if that was possible and collect it there. It's not really worth your while changing your postal address for bills etc. when it's only a temporary move.

I would imagine Eircom would charge you a reconnection fee if you were to disconnect and reconnect when you move back in.

You would need to contact your Insurance Company to let them know that your house is going to be idle etc.

I have also heard people saying that prices down the country are cheaper. Luckily I am down the country but I can't give you any comparasions as I usually buy locally anyway.

Why not ask local business and retailers as they are probably dying to get rid of boxes.
I got some perfect stron ones with lids from a local shop who even deleivered them they were so glad to be rid of them.
Any one that uses conmputers will have the big boxes available.
Seems a waste of money to buy them when you can ge tthem for nothing.
On sourcing stuff it is very hit and miss as there isn't any dedicated directory available.
www.superstore.ie seems to be fairly competitive on prices for bathrooms.
Dublin from my research has the best variety of products but at hiogher costs.

Can anyone tell me approximate what would be the cost of house removal from the midlands to cork city (4 bed semi which belongs to two horders!) Thanks in advance :D

annR said:
I've seen boxes like this in the argos catalogue.

The boxes in Argos are only useful for light items. If you put a few books in them the bottom falls out of them. They rip very easily too.

Hi blaze,

Welcome to AAM.

You sure have packed (pardon the pun :) ) plenty into your first post.

Ribena has kindly already answered a few of your queries but here's my tuppence worth also:

We have had this previous thread on Boxes and moving yourself

The key post on Removal companies has some further info on boxes.

I think I have seen [broken link removed] people get a mention also for boxes and bubble wrap.

There is AFAIK some further advice on www.myhome.ie on this type of subject including this http://www.newaddress.ie/

Last but not least for your general household purchases if you have a read thru the AAM key posts in Homes and Gardens you may get some advice on where to buy your appliances etc. or you could use the to read thru previous threads.

Best of luck with the temporary move.

Hi All,

I have been looking around for large lidded plastic storage boxes and have found the best value so far to be at B&Q on the Naas road - 50litre boxes for €11. However, this is still quite expensive I think - can anyone do better?

I'm looking for plastic, stackable storage containers with lids - 50litres seems to be a good size, but larger or slightly smaller would be fine too.

Thanks,

Bankrupt.

Hi bankrupt,

Woodies seem to do a large range of storage boxes but not sure about prices/sizes. Have you checked them out? Argos spring to mind as well.

Maybe try your local recycling center. Here in arklow the center is great and you can go in and pick what size and how sturdy boxes you need and it won't cost a penny! (don't forget to recycle them after your done with them)!

Back