Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Robert Moore

Hi folks, in January 2020 Microsoft will no longer be providing updates/supporting Windows 7. I do not necessarily want to get another machine; this pretty much satisfies my rudimentary IT requirements so I was wondering how to migrate on to Windows 10?

Am bit of a luddite with regard to software. Have seen product keys on eBay for Windows 10 - should these work or is that a bit simple? Could hand over to PC World but probably gonna spend couple of hundred on official software pack and labour.

What would be best and cheapest way to get machine loaded up with Windows 10?

Thanks

How old is your computer
What is the spec, chip, ram, size of hard drive
I think you can still get free upgrade if you search for it but your computer might not be suitable for windows 10
One other thing, are you running any special programs or accessories on your computer, they might not be compatible after you upgrade
My own opinion would be go out a buy a new computer it will last a lot longer on win 10 then your current computer

Thanks guys. Machine is Toshiba C855, 6Mb RAM, i5 chip, 500 Gb hard drive. I'd say about 5-6 years old (?). CEX still selling these and with Windows 10

Hi Robert - I would read carefully the link that BuddyBoy provided. Lot of very good information in there. This is the route that I would go. Download windows 10 from Microsoft site & install it as described. Try to activate Windows 10 with your existing window 7 key. If it works - great. If it fails - no panic. Windows 10 will still work you just wont be able to personalise your windows set up (u wont't be locked out and left stranded).

As I say read that article carefully a few times. It's very good.

Last edited:
I actually upgraded my bro-in-laws laptop recently which was a similar model to yours. Replaced hard disk after backing up data which was minimal with a 256gb ssd (about €30) and is running hell of a lot faster as up to 8 x times faster than standard hdd. You could actually do it yourself as lots of videos online. If you have a Win 7 Pro coa underneath battery on laptop, you can use that after installing Win 10 to activate after downloading iso from MS.

Have to say I've had mixed results using Windows 7 keys on Windows 10.

One issue is the drivers are different in some hardware between Windows 7 and Windows 10.
One laptop I had not drivers for the graphics in Windows 10. So had to stay on Windows 7 or 8.

SSD is a necessity wtih windows 10 and modern browsers. They use the Hard Drive a lot more. So a SSD has a bigger impact than you think.

none of the three issues mentioned have to do with the Windows key afaik
I have migrated old laptop Windows 7 to Windows 10 without any major problems. True, you might need to upgrade hard drive as you say but the OP's laptop isn't really that old - 5/6 years

Did you upgrade? That link you were given is no good. This is the correct one.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I did a 6 year old dell at w/e with a lot less spec than yours. To save you hassle when you open link scroll down and where it says get started, click on

download windows 10, then just downlaod file open it and run it, rest is automatic. The windows 10 is about 3gb so if you have a slow connection it will take a good few hours but its FREE, no keys required as it checks your laptop and gets the win7 key. NB It keeps your files as well.

To see demo go to u tube.

Back