Moving from UK to Ireland - a few Qs ...

BetsyClark

Hi All

My husband and I are returning to Ireland from the UK and I have NO idea where to start with banking. Here are the facts, possibly jumbled, questions and perceived issues.

I have a (possibly dormant) PTSB deposit A/C registered in my UK address.
On sale of UK home we will have approx €250,000 in a UK current A/C. How can we transfer this sum as cheaply as possible?
We will be renting in Ireland and as yet have no Irish address, (will be staying with parents for short time until a suitable rental is found) so no proof of address for opening or activating bank account. What should be our first step on arrival?
Husband has a job offer in Ireland but no bank account. Can salary be paid to a UK A/C until Irish one is opened?

Any ideas anyone?

Betsy

Get your PPS numbers sorted & then when these are issued, use these are proof of address for opening a bank acount. You can get a letter from you parents confirming that you reside at their address in order to get your PPS number.

HTH

All financial intitutions will ask you for the following 2 pieces of information:

1. Proof of ID - passport or drivers licence.
2 Proof of address - utility bill, mobile phone bill, notification of tax credits or statements/letters from financial institutions.

In your case, I'd check that your PTSB account is active and then just change the address to you parents place. Then have them send a statement to the new address. Or, as Happy girl has suggested, get your tax PPS sorted.

You could contacts banks before you come over and they may be able to direct you on the best thing to do in your case. If you know what you need in advance e.g. reference letter from your existing bank, and have it all ready to go, your new account would be up & running within a day (with another 10 days for cards to arrive)

Main banks, in no order or preference: www.aib.ie, www.boi.ie, www.ptsb.ie, www.halifax.ie.

Best of luck.
D8L

Some Irish banks have branches in the UK.

Maybe they can help you to initially open an Irish account using your current uk address? Then later you can change the address over when you move.

I'd try to reactivate the PTSB account too.

Back