Moving from one public sector job to another

LucyTru

I have been offered a position (same grade) in another public sector organisation. I'm 2 years in my current position. I'm torn. I would have to serve a 1 year probation period (again) I did ask. I would have to apply for incremental credit but could be waiting. I would have to wait 12 months to apply for parental leave which I have in my current job. I can apply for blended working in this new position which is a pro and o would be slightly closer to home. I'm almost positive I won't take it as I'm hoping that when the embargo ends in the HSE opportunities will come up for me to move up. I would ideally like to work in a different environment. Just wanted to know people's thoughts on this? New post would be in County Council. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to take parental leave while on probation if moving straight from hse to county council. It just means that your probation will be extended by your period of parental leave (so say you take a month parental leave in first twelve months then your probation is 13 months).
Both hse and council are governed by local government acts.
So you would definitely get your incremental credit.

If you do transfer to another public service body ensure you transfer your service almost immediately. This avoids any problems later.

If you do transfer to another public service body ensure you transfer your service almost immediately. This avoids any problems later.
@Leper how does one transfer their service? I switched from Civil Service to Local Authority in 2021 and I do remember filling out some pension-related paperwork prior to starting but I'm not sure exactly what it entailed.

@Leper how does one transfer their service? I switched from Civil Service to Local Authority in 2021 and I do remember filling out some pension-related paperwork prior to starting but I'm not sure exactly what it entailed.
1. You are entitled to transfer service from one public service to another. But, it must be done in written form from the public body that you are leaving or left. It is they who should advise your new employer of the amount of service to be transferred.
2. After this is done liaise with your new employer and get it confirmed of the amount of service that is transferred.
3. Do not accept any word of mouth alone, ensure you are given a letter by both bodies confirming.
4. Waiting until your 65th birthday is not a good time to do this. Records get lost, destroyed etc. Your pension entitlement could be seriously delayed because of your failure.

Last edited:
1. You are entitled to transfer service from one public service to another. But, it must be done in written form from the public body that you are leaving or left. It is they who should advise your new employer of the amount of service to be transferred.
2. After this is done lease with your new employer and get it confirmed of the amount of service that is transferred.
3. Do not accept any word of mouth alone, ensure you are given a letter by both bodies confirming.
4. Waiting until your 65th birthday is not a good time to do this. Records get lost, destroyed etc. Your pension entitlement could be seriously delayed because of your failure.
Thanks @Leper I will definitely chase this up. I'm starting to wonder now if my years of Public Service in Northern Ireland could also have possibly been transferred as I left a job with a NI University to take up a post with the Civil Service in the Republic. These are things I hadn't thought of at the time.

@Leper I contacted MyPay to enquire about getting my service transferred retrospectively from when I left the Civil Service to go to a Local Authority. This was their response:

"I have reviewed your information and can see that your previous service was noted on our system but as the pension was the Single Pension Scheme this service does not transfer as you move jobs. Your previous appointments are noted as you move jobs but until you retire the benefits remain with each employer until they are all amalgamated with your final employer upon your retirement."

So it sounds like you cannot transfer service if moving from one public sector employer to another if both are within the Single Public Service Pension Scheme.

So it sounds like you cannot transfer service if moving from one public sector employer to another if both are within the Single Public Service Pension Scheme.
What they’re saying is that there’s no formal “transfer” of the service because there’s no need. It’s all reconciled on retirement.

What you could usefully check at this stage is that the previous service they tell you they’ve “noted” is consistent with your understanding. If not, it’s easier to sort out now than in the future.

I have been offered a position (same grade) in another public sector organisation. I'm 2 years in my current position. I'm torn. I would have to serve a 1 year probation period (again) I did ask. I would have to apply for incremental credit but could be waiting. I would have to wait 12 months to apply for parental leave which I have in my current job. I can apply for blended working in this new position which is a pro and o would be slightly closer to home. I'm almost positive I won't take it as I'm hoping that when the embargo ends in the HSE opportunities will come up for me to move up. I would ideally like to work in a different environment. Just wanted to know people's thoughts on this? New post would be in County Council. Thanks.

Hi Lucy,

It sounds like you’ve got a lot to weigh up with this new job offer. I can totally understand why you’re torn—there are some nice perks, but also some big considerations to keep in mind.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

• Probation Period: Having to do another year of probation could be a bit of a step back, especially since you’ve already passed one in your current role. It’s like going back to square one in terms of job security, which might not be ideal.
  • Incremental Credit: Waiting for incremental credit could be a headache. There’s no guarantee you’ll get it straight away, and being stuck at a lower pay level, even temporarily, could be frustrating.
  • Parental Leave: Having to wait 12 months to qualify for parental leave in the new job is definitely a downside, especially if you already have it where you are now. That flexibility is really valuable, and it’s tough to lose it, even for a short time.
  • Blended Working: On the flip side, being able to apply for blended working in the new job is a definite plus. If that flexibility is important to you, it’s a strong point in favor of the move.
  • Closer to Home: Being a bit closer to home could make your life easier—less time commuting and more time for yourself or your family.
But here’s the thing:

If you’re hoping for new opportunities in the HSE once the embargo lifts, staying where you are could be the better move for now. You’ve already got job security, benefits like parental leave, and you won’t have to deal with another probation period. Plus, if you’re thinking about moving up in the HSE eventually, staying put might keep you in a better position to make that jump when the time is right.

It sounds like you’re leaning towards staying, and honestly, I think that makes a lot of sense given the pros and cons. Why take on the risks of a new role when you’re already in a stable position that’s working for you?

Hope this helps with your decision!

Cheers,
Ualtar

Back