Moving from Dublin to Cavan

ci1

Hi,

Just looking to get opinions from anyone who has moved to Cavan.

Due to the limit of mortgage I can get it looks like I'll have to move out a bit. Have been on the net and Cavan seems to have lovely properties in my budget but it means moving from Northside Dublin! I just don't know anyone that has moved there from Dublin.

What are the pros and cons of this? Obviously travel is a point most will think of, I work in Dublin!
Anyone else make the move from Dublin to Cavan to live and still working in Dublin, how do you find it?

thanks,

We travel through Cavan to the northwest frequently and I would consider it a very long commute from Dublin. Having commuted in London a number of years ago and swore never again I think it really comes down to do you want to commute or not?

Personally I found that halfway through the week I was always wrecked and it was a live to work situation, with not much time for recreation or family in between.

With the changing property market would you not consider holding on for a while to purchase.

Hi, We are thinking of moving to Meath, nr. Navan Onlly because Our house is paid up, and want to buy some land 19.5 acres with a cottage for only 100,000 more than our southside house, We will take out a 200000 mortgage to renovate and build stables (My business is horses)My partner will commute to drogheda 20 mins drive, and then get the train into Dublin 50 minutes. That is our plan. She commutes from Sandyford to dublin now and that takes nearly an hour, So she is well used to commuting. Hop this helps, regards

Houses are still relatively cheap in Cavan town, you would be looking at a 2 hour commute each way, Bus eireann goes every hour or you could drive, traffic can be bad in Navan and when you hit dublin.
If your budget allows you, look at properties in Virginia, its about an hour and half from dublin. I have a friend that commutes up to Blanchardstown from Virginia, leaves at 6.30am, gets up to work by 8am, leaves by 4.30 and gets home around 6.30pm, its a long day, but if you really want to get on the property market, its doable, when they build the M3 traffic should improve.

Three and a half hours of travel every day would get the best of most people. I know of people who moved to Virginia and ended up giving up their jobs in Dublin because they couldn't stick the hassle.

I know it's more expensive, but have you checked out smaller properties near the coast in Louth, closer to rail links, etc?

In my own experience, it is pretty much impossible to travel from Blanchardstown to Cavan in two hours any evening, except perhaps on Sundays. If commuting from anywhere else in Dublin, budget for two & a half hours on top of the time that it takes to reach the N3 at Blanchardstown. Commuting from Cavan to Dublin is hard going, considering the state of the N3 road.

Ci1, have you considered Monaghan?

Towns in south Co Monaghan like Carrickmacross and Castleblayney are only 20 minutes from the M1 at Dundalk - and then about another 45 mins from the airport. If you work northside or city centre this could be an option?

Property is probably a bit cheaper than in Cavan too...

I would have to agree with previous posters it is a long commute. I work out near the airport and a colleague commutes from Cavan and it's killing him. To be honest I think he wishes they had looked along the M1, but they were seduced by the beautiful big house, how much time he spends in it is questionable as he seems to be here or in the car for most of the day. If you are going to make such a drastic move I would consider doing six months in rented accomodation and see how it works out. I have friends who are doing that in Kildare and also it will give you time to see where the property market is going.

I wouldn't advise looking any further north than Virginia. Cavan people that I know regard Virginia ar the "cut-off" for dailt trecking to Dublin. I know some people who are commuting from Cavan town every day, getting the bus at 6 or 7am and back home at 8pm at the earliest. IMHO, not a great way to live

I would second the earlier poster from Caveat that mentioned south Monaghan, Carrickmacross even Castleblayney further north. Easy access from motorway at Ardee. Prices in Monaghan are generally more expensive than Cavan.

Catgirl's advise of trying rented accomodation for a while to "try before you buy" is a good idea.

Just wanted to add my 'twopence' worth here. I am from (near) Virginia and have been commuting to Blanchardstown for the past 4 months on a daily basis. I'm lucky a) blanch is the right side of the city and b) that I car share with a neighbour i.e. every other week I drive. I leave Virginia at 6.30am and am at my desk at 7.40am, I leave work at 4.30pm and am home by 6pm. Sometimes (depending on roadworks, weather, etc.) the route via Trim, Athboy, Kells, Virginia is a better option although the road is alot narrower. On several occasions we have been unfortunate enough to take the wrong option and haven't got home until closer to 7pm - so beware! I would agree with 'Thedoc' in that Virginia is really the 'cut-off' point when commuting to Dublin, however, there are other places such as Kingscourt in Cavan that are doable! It really does depend what part of Cavan you're planning to move to - it's a long county which stretches right up to the northwest. For Cavan town itself you would need to add an extra 20mins to my aforementioned travel times! Re: property you would get alot more bang for your buck in Cavan town currently. As a matter of fact, I am repeatedly seeing the same houses/apartments being advertised in the local Anglo Celt on a weekly basis which means it is a buyers market there at the moment. The new N3 should (don't want to jinx it) have a vast improvement on commuting times, however, I heard in this weeks Sunday Independent that they're going slamming TWO tolls on it between Kells and Dunshaughlin!

Hope this was of some help!

I commute everyday from cavan town to rathmines. We moved to cavan town 2 years ago and although the travelling can be rough at times my family has a much better standard of life. My wife was able to give up work and stay at home with the kids. We managed to get a 4 bed house with garage 1750sq ft. for 172.500 euro and monthly repayments are extremely managable. Schools are great and theres a good buzz and social life around town. Because it is just outside the commuterbelt the town retains its country feel and values. Would recommend based on my own experience that its a good move.

Thanks everyone,

found a gem of an apartment in Stamullen in Meath that was in my budget.
25 mins from my parents, and 10 mins from each of my sisters.

Cavan will have to wait for me

C.